How Much C++ ?

Started by
6 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 2 months ago
How much C++ should I know in order to begin learning Direct X? I am already very comfortable in object oriented analysis and design, and understand the fundamentals of functions. Thanks
Advertisement
You don't have to learn them sequentially. You can learn both at the same time.

If you work your way through DirectX tutorials you're enhancing your C++ skills as well.
Assuming you have the DXSDK downloaded and installed, load up the tutorial code (there are 6 for D3D9). If you can read through that and know what's going on and why then you know enough C++ [smile]

If you keep scratching your head wondering what X is all about then you don't know enough and you should either research that aspect or keep practicing 'pure' C++...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

You don't need to know that much, but the more familiar you are with it, the easier things will be, especially when something goes wrong.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
It might be useful to learn some W32 API first though, because you will most likely have to launch your own window, receive events or something like it (unless you use DXUT, but nevertheless, learning W32 API can become very useful).
http://sagito.wordpress.com
Boo platform specific code, yay cross platform code, OpenGL + SFML, simplifies TONS of tasks and will compile for any platform :)

Platform specific code is sssoooo 2001 ;)

Learning the Win32 API when your just starting out sounds like suicide to me. I'm an experienced programmer and I get the chills when I look at that mess. SFML makes opening a window and capturing input a BREEZE. All nice and modern C++ too.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Quote:Original post by Wavesonics
Boo platform specific code, yay cross platform code, OpenGL + SFML, simplifies TONS of tasks and will compile for any platform :)

Platform specific code is sssoooo 2001 ;)

Learning the Win32 API when your just starting out sounds like suicide to me. I'm an experienced programmer and I get the chills when I look at that mess. SFML makes opening a window and capturing input a BREEZE. All nice and modern C++ too.

Isnt this sort of off-topic for a DirectX forum?

Anyhow, there's very little Win32 API you need to read up on just for DX,
creating a window and handling messages is just about it.

www.winprog.org got some tutorials :)
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Assuming you have the DXSDK downloaded and installed, load up the tutorial code (there are 6 for D3D9). If you can read through that and know what's going on and why then you know enough C++ [smile]

If you keep scratching your head wondering what X is all about then you don't know enough and you should either research that aspect or keep practicing 'pure' C++...

hth
Jack

Yup the DX SDK comes with alot of sample code in the dx sample browser. Just install the sample project files like Jack said and look it over and if you can't follow a majority of it then you need more practice because tutorial 1 is the simplest DirectX program you can make!

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement