Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sanderman

OpenGL texture problems

This topic is 3872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I'm working on a simple moonlander simulation game with opengl. After reading Beginning OpenGL Game Programming and some research on the net, I decided to write my own image class to load .tga files. This all worked great and I was using it as a heightmap. Now the time has come to implement textures for my skybox but alas.. I've hit a problem and don't know where the solution lies. After struggling with the texture mapping for a bit, I was finally able to get a visible result on a quad. The result is ugly. See the screenshot and original image. Free Image Hosting 

at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at 

www.ImageShack.us Of course I went to see what the problem was but I just can't find it. After a lot of struggling I decided to take the CTargaImage class from the cd with the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming. No change at all. So my image loading class was probably working correctly, the problem must lie in the texture mapping itself. But there I can't find any errors either. The data and it's pointer are also valid as I've used those in the heighmap maker and it works like a charm. So now I have no idea where the error comes from. What is even worse is that the sample bonus game on that cd 'A Time To Kill' shows the same problem! Free Image 

Hosting at www.ImageShack.us So now I'm utterly lost, even a program written by someone experienced in this field shows this problem. Might there be something really weird going on? Is my computer breaking down? Did I change some weird OpenGL setting in my experiments, and is it preserved across multiple programs and even OS reboots, that's now wreaking havoc on my textures? I'm asking if anyone has experienced similiar issues in the past and/or has a hint about the cause or a possible solution to this problem. I will post code if anyone asks for it, though in this case I don't think it will help much. My texturing code is quite standard. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
My only guess is to have a look at the gpu and grafics hardware memory temperatures. I had the same broken textures a year ago just before i figured out that my 8800 gtx was running at 97°.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the reply. I checked the temperature using Rivatuner, which showed 41 degrees C, which would be very normal. Then I ran the program on a different comp, where it did actually work, displaying my texture. So apparently something is wrong with this comps video after all and I've been breaking my brain for nothing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!