[.net] Can you sell XNA games?

Started by
4 comments, last by savagemonitor 16 years, 2 months ago
I know you can make a XNA game for Windows and 360, but I was unsure and didn't find information on whether or not (and how) you can actually sell a game. Any links are appreciated.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I am not 100% sure but i belive you are allowed to sell games developed by microsoft game studio and xna. Havnt read the full license though.

This only apply for windows based platforms.
MS probobly dont want loads of bad stuff on the 360 so if you want to release somthing for the 360 you have to go through them.

Though from what i hear a xna dev community on Xbox live were you can download and share your games is under development.
-Truth is out there-
You can sell windows Xna games just like DirectX games.

To sell for the 360, you need the xbox developer's license, which gives you the debug hardware and SDK, but costs a truckload of money and has an exhaustive certification process.

Long story short: windows yes, 360 no.
Just remember that Microsoft does not allow you to use their code or assets in commerical projects. So you'll have to replace anything you used that falls under the Microsoft license (mostly tutorial code or art assets). Just something to keep in mind if you want to sell your XNA games.
Quote:Original post by savagemonitor
Just remember that Microsoft does not allow you to use their code or assets in commerical projects. So you'll have to replace anything you used that falls under the Microsoft license (mostly tutorial code or art assets). Just something to keep in mind if you want to sell your XNA games.
When I look through the regular DX SDK and all the sample code, they encourage you to use it as a base of your own stuff, and modify it as needed.

Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:Original post by savagemonitor
When I look through the regular DX SDK and all the sample code, they encourage you to use it as a base of your own stuff, and modify it as needed.

All the XNA stuff is released under the Microsoft Permissive License or something with that name. Part of it is that you won't use their tutorial code, starter kits, or visual assets in a commercial game. I think that it's done that way to prevent someone from only slightly modifying a starter kit game and selling it to the public. The DX stuff probably isn't licensed the same way because there are no complete games shipped with the DX SDK.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement