Sign in to follow this  

Game State/Process Managment

This topic is 3599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote a short article going over game process management as my approaching to handling game states (and more), and I would love comments/suggestions. I'm thinking of turning it into a full-blown article and submitting to GameDev, but I'd like to know if that's a worthwhile endeavor first.

I found the article a bit too abstract for my taste. You immediatly jump into the 'games are like OS'es' comparison, but what actual problem are you adressing? What sort of 'states' are we talking about here? What problems did you encounter and how does this approach solve them? Can you give some concrete examples?

Your comparison seems to be based on the assumption that games and OS'es have a similar purpose, but do they? An OS needs to manage multiple applications, each with it's own resources. I don't think these applications should be seen as OS states, but rather as separate entities being managed by the OS. A game is usually a single application, so I don't really see the point of the whole comparison.

Then again, I might've totally misinterpreted you. Perhaps you could clarify yourself?

Sign in to follow this