OpenGL on Ubuntu Linux?

Started by
4 comments, last by Krohm 16 years, 2 months ago
I've recently gotten into Ubuntu, and I've looked all over the place for information on getting OpenGL headers, and how to get started with them on Ubuntu, but I've had no luck. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? Also, I'm not sure I want to go with Mesa, either, because, well.... it's not OpenGL, and it's maintained by a third party.
Advertisement
I'm not sure if this is the exact package but try:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
and it should install all the headers
if that doesn't work do a search for mesa and you should find a package similar to that one
Since package names often change, I find it handy to use the apt-get build-dep command. This will give you all the packages (compilers, libraries and development packages) required to build a certain package. If you want OpenGL, but can't figure out what Ubuntu calls the package, just install the build deps for a program that uses the OpenGL library such a tux racer.

sudo apt-get build-dep tuxracer

This is by no means an exact method, or even a good method, but sometimes it's better than digging around for half an hour for a rather minor thing.
Quote:Original post by linkofazeroth
Also, I'm not sure I want to go with Mesa, either, because, well.... it's not OpenGL, and it's maintained by a third party.

Every opengl header set that is out there is maintained by third party - if you install Windows or MacOSX you'll get headers created by Microsoft and Apple respectively, if you install nvidia binary or ati binary drivers you'll get header files maintained by Nvidia and ATI. I am not aware of any particular differences between them, other than the fact that some of them are not up-to-date on recent OpenGL version releaese and extensions, which can be easily mitigated by using GLEW or other extension-wrapping library.
Im learning opengl and use ubuntu 7.10
These are the packages i use

OpenGL:
libgl1-mesa-dev

OpenGL extensions:
libglew1.4-dev

SDL:
libsdl1.2-dev

SDL image to load textures:
libsdl-image1.2-dev
Quote:Original post by jonahrowley
If you want OpenGL, but can't figure out what Ubuntu calls the package, just install the build deps for a program that uses the OpenGL library such a tux racer.
Yikes!!!

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement