Sign in to follow this  

SDL_CreateThread() and Memberfunctions

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to use SDL_CreateThread() in order to have multiple threads running in my game at once. I noticed that there is a problem with calling a member function of a class, seems like SDL_CreateThread only likes global functions.... Is there a way to use some thing like
void Server::server_thread(void* data)
{
}
as a function for a SDL Thread? Also, can I somehow use namespaces, for instance,
server::Server::server_thread()
as thread function?

It is fairly easy. You can use the void pointer to pass the "this" pointer:

namespace
{
int threadProxy( void *pointer )
{
try
{
Thread &thread = *static_cast<Thread*>(pointer);
thread.run();
return 0;
}
catch( const std::exception &e )
{
std::cerr << e.what() << std::endl;
return 1;
}
catch( ... )
{
std::cerr << "Unknown object thrown\n";
return 2;
}
}
}

And usage:

void Thread::start()
{
assert(!thread);
thread = SDL_CreateThread(&threadProxy, this);
if(!thread)
{
throw std::runtime_error(SDL_GetError());
}
}

In this example, Thread::run() is a virtual function that does whatever processing the thread wants to do. While this example forces you to derive from a thread, it wouldn't be hard to write a generic wrapper class that turns any member function with the right signature into a thread.

First of all, thank you both for your replies.

If I get rip-offs idea right, I'll create a class Thread which has the thread_proxy() and run() functions, and every class which has a thread has to derive from it.

Do I get this right so far? And has the thread_proxy function to be in a nameless namespace?

Quote:
Original post by Sceletor
If I get rip-offs idea right, I'll create a class Thread which has the thread_proxy() and run() functions, and every class which has a thread has to derive from it.

Well, thread_proxy() would have to be static if it is part of a class. But yes, that is one way of doing it. However, there is no particular reason a task has to derive from a thread. Example:

struct Task
{
virtual ~Task(){}
virtual void run() = 0;
};

Then you pass a task (smart) pointer to a thread's constructor, and call Task::run on that. With some template and/or boost hackery you could generalise the concept of a task such that any member function on any object could be made into a task and run in a thread.

void Thread::start()
{
assert(!thread);
thread = SDL_CreateThread(&threadProxy, task);
if(!thread)
{
throw std::runtime_error(SDL_GetError());
}
}

Quote:

And has the thread_proxy function to be in a nameless namespace?

No, it doesn't. I would chose to have it that way because it is an implementation detail inside a source file and shouldn't be called manually by client code.

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.