flash programming setup

Started by
4 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, I just recently started with flash. I downloaded the flex builder and really liked it. Sadly the trial is now over. It appears however that the flex sdk is free and flex builder is over 200 dollars. So my question is what is your setup to create flash apps. Is it worth buying the builder or is the sdk more than sufficient. Are projects from the builder easily adaptable to the plain sdk. Is there perhaps some other free ide? -CProgrammer
Advertisement
You might want to check out FlashDevelop, an open source AS editor that integrates with the Flex SDK.
Eclipse together with the FDT plugin is what we use at work. However, the FDT plugin isn't free. It's a very nice combo though.
Wow FDT is even more pricy than FlexBuilder.
FlashDevelop looks to be exactly what I need.

-CProgrammer
FlashDevelop also supports Haxe, a language that targets the flash virtual machine, &#106avascript and a server side virtual machine (neko). It's a statically typed Java-like language, but with type inference and support for functional programming. Enjoy!
I found FlashDevelop not very good at all. I don't think it supported a debugger (although I might be wrong). To me, a debugger alone makes FB worth the money. It's also a pretty decent tool, and FB3 supports refactoring tools which are great. I would not buy FB until FB3 is released... but you can get the FB3 beta which lasts quite a while... that is my advice, and decide after the trial runs out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement