Rendering planets (from space only)

Started by
2 comments, last by glaeken 16 years, 2 months ago
Assuming I've created a tool to quickly generate planet textures for me (using libnoise's complex planet example), what is the most efficient way to render said planet from space? I will never need to get very low in to the orbit, so I think Sean O'neil's algorithms for rendering zoomable planets is a bit heavy weight for what I need. I've heard people say you should use cubes to render the planet, but I can't really wrap my mind around the theory. I will eventually add effects like atmospheric scattering, but I just want to get a nice looking, circular planet rendered first.
Advertisement
Texture map it in a modelling application of your choice, then load it. If you change the texture but keep the tex-coords, the new texture will nicely replace the old one. Extra effects can be done by the renderer, or in the modelling application.

Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Texture map it in a modelling application of your choice, then load it. If you change the texture but keep the tex-coords, the new texture will nicely replace the old one. Extra effects can be done by the renderer, or in the modelling application.

Thanks :) The answer ended up being far easier then I expected: Generate a sphere, texture it. No modeling program really required (though I am sure one could be used to give the planets a more artistic touch). I have no idea why I was adverse to simply using a sphere at first, maybe I was worried about it needing a lot of vertexes to look smooth, but in any case, it works well.
You could also do normal/parallax mapping, so that there would be some detail at closer ranges.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement