Sign in to follow this  

Big C++

This topic is 3597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've used Big Java in my Computer Science class and the book was great. I just recently heard about Big C++ and I am unable to find much info on it. What do you guys think of the book, is it worth the money? (about $160 but I've seen it used for $40)

Since you've already had programming experience, you should probably go straight for The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup. It's a little weak on object oriented concepts (which you already learned with Java) and the standard template library (which you will supplement with The C++ Standard Template Library by Josuttis), but it's the best book I know of for the core C++ language. It can be a bit heavy but if you understand Java well then you should have no problems.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend Stroustrup's book until you have quite a bit of familiarity with C++. And I mean you seriously know what you are doing with the language.

You're better off with a combination of Accelerated C++ by Koenig and C++ Primer by Lippman.

I can't comment on Big C++, don't know that one, but I don't think Stroustrup's book is good as a learning book and even as a reference there are better options.
You can't go wrong with Thinking in C++ since it's a freely available book, it covers most (if not all) of the standard library and is generally written in a nice way that makes it possible to go deep into details without overstraining the reader.

I agree that the TC++PL is not good as a tutorial, but it's a reasonably solid reference.

I would strongly second the suggestion of working through Koenig and Moo's Accelerated C++ before moving on to something else. Probably the best 20 quid I've ever spent on a programming book.

This topic is 3597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.