Sign in to follow this  

Terrain-object collision for physics

This topic is 3593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I've survived loading a mesh, and rendering it using vertex buffer objects, rendering fonts to a bitmap and drawing them with opengl and such, but now I come to the part where I require maths skills. I'm looking to make a car game -- it will be simplistic, but I want to be able to add some decent physics to it, so getting "air" (leaving the terrain), calculating the height of individual wheels in relation to the terrain ,or more likely the height of the front or back wheels, then calculating the common angle or something like that. I'm ok with the general logic, but just not with the calculations vs speed (ie, it would not be particularity hard to check collision with terrain if I checked every single poly on the terrain, but that is hardly realistic). Where should I go next, regarding my insufficient math experience (I'm willing to read a book here, but hopefully one that keeps it interesting with a 3D graphics context). So, I'm looking for recommendations:
  • Books (please, not terribly expensive or textbook length)
  • Online Guides for dummies that are not copy/paste, but more concept (I couldn't follow the Nehe tutorials -- I figured it out myself using code samples and the docs)
  • Online tutorials
I know I'm not being very specific, but I have zero idea of where I should further my knowledge next.

Download Newton GD and check out the "simple car" demo. I tried to write this stuff myself, and learned lots of stuff, but my game was pretty much on hold for one whole year. Therefore, you will do wonders with a physics engine.

I understand that I can use a physics engine, however:

I'm doing this for fun
I want to learn this stuff

So, I determined that it would be far more valuable to me to actually implement it myself. In fact, I could have downloaded an OBJ loader, but I coded it myself, out of pure spite.

However, could you provide a link? Maybe that demo that you suggested actually contains code?

This topic is 3593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.