Sign in to follow this  

Where would one go next?

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been learning C++ and I am not sure where to go next. Here are the concepts I feel I have a good grasp on and I practice them frequently(ie daily): classes polymorphism inheritance strings input/output arrays pointers loops if/then enums functions (I didnt touch recursion yet I dont have a book that teaches this yet) but my question would be what is the next things I would need to learn so I can progress and eventually start making games with graphics? Im not sure what concepts to look for in my next books I purchase. I saw in the back of my most current book to go for OpenGL programming but im not sure if thats the correct step. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :D

the NEHE tutorials are a good place to start with opengl

to be honest though id mess with some 2D stuff first. SDL is a good start quite quick to get stuff up and running, and you will extensively use all the things you have been learning

You might want to try a very simple game, with simpel graphics, like asteroids or Tetris. This will give your a basic understanding how it 'feels' to develop and finish a game.

not sure if im allowed ot post this, but this is the material from a module at my uni based on SDL, might help you to go through the SDL related lab work

http://data.bolton.ac.uk/staff/adw1/GHAP2007/index.html

Wow thanks for the fast replies guys :D So lemme make sure I got this right. I should probably go for SDL next, learn that, and then move to openGL? Anyone have books they personally used that they like?

not saying its the best option, although it is nice and easy to get some small games together quickly

the books i found on SDL didnt appear to be too great

use a combination of the sample apps / docs in the link i gave combined with google ;)

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.