Directx 10 and fragment shaders

Started by
6 comments, last by Slaaitjuh 16 years, 2 months ago
Heya! Does anyone know where the fragment shader part of dx9 went in dx10? Call me stupid or i don't understand where it has gone to... Cheers! [Edited by - Slaaitjuh on February 11, 2008 11:14:51 AM]
Advertisement
i think i was mislead by the terms of dx9 and dx10. With the general shader loading functions you can load fragments directly, instead of having a different 'part' for the effects to load fragments.

but i still don't see how i can combine shaders like the FragmentLinker did in dx9, maybe they removed this functionallity.
There is no fragment linker for Direct3D 10 anymore.
so in dx10 it is impossible to combine fragments from shaders to one big shader? dunno about you, but this sounded like a very very good solution for big shaders etc.

How are we supposed to make a bit of a pluginstyle shader package now?
Roll your own [grin]

From what I remember of discussions with the DX developers back in October '05 (I think) the fragment linker in FX9 wasn't a great implementation and it didn't suit the customer demand/requirements. Consequently a lot of the big studios developed their own implementations (an important detail being that a lot of the shader tools tend to target multiple platforms - PC,XBox,PS etc..) thus the demand for a standard MS implementation became almost nonexistant.

The MS developers are the same as any other dev house providing standard API's and libraries - they have a million things on their 'todo' list and customer demand determines which ones are priorities.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

My luckly short experience with the fragment linker was dreadful. I originally intended to use it to avoid using D3DX's compiler but I later found various programs installed D3DX so I went for it anyway.
GL is modular by design so this was less problematic but still overkill. What happens in the case is that the compiler collects the various source strings and strcat-s them togheter... I actually do this myself and I must say it's way easier to mess up with the various API stuff.
Well, not really, but at least I know what's going on.

Previously "Krohm"

ok ok thanks! sounds fair if you put it that way. Do you guys have any links or similar in the direction i need to search/go? Like for existing stuff, tutorial or diagrams etc?
would CG be a good consideration then? I found Axiom which has CG loader, which i can prob try out in my own stuff, to see how that works. But there must be something optional for HLSL as well, right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement