Recommendations for C# literature & IDE's?

Started by
1 comment, last by John Foberg 16 years, 2 months ago
Based on what I've read extensively here plus feedback I'll be focusing on C# I'll continue reading and practicing C++ but C# will take precedence. From the Resources page for begineers I got this: Beginning 3D Game Programming by Tom Miller I found this after some searching and appears relevant and similar to the "C++ through game programming" book I'm currently using: Beginning C# Game Programming by Ron Penton I'd appreciate any recommendations on C# literature to use on a self-taught program. Also, Im using the free Bloodshed Dev-C++, Microsoft Visual C++ Express, Microsoft Visual C# IDE's. Any other recommendations for free IDE's for C#? Thanks kindly. The people in this forum have been extremely helpful and it's great reading the posts here--even the 'friendly' arguments..
Advertisement
O'Reilly's C# books are good and IDEs don't really get any better than MSVC# at the moment.
Thanks for the feedback Telastyn. Some of your posts and the discussions that followed are what prompted me to evaluate switching my curriclum from C++ to C#.

The O'Reilly seems like definite must.

After some time searching the forums and other sites I've compiled these as my primary reading:

Head First C#, Brain Friendly Guide
by Greene & Steelman

Programming in the Key of C#
by Charles Petzold
Coincidence the gentleman went to Steven's Institute back in the 70's. I graduated there with a BS Mechanical ENgineering in early 90's (I went to college a bit late ;)

Beginning C# Game Programming
by Ron Penton
Want something that will offer game specific examples and promote thinking in gaming terms.

I think thats enough to get me started, good thing Borders Books is on my way on Broadway in Manhattan and they have two in stock.

I'll continue reading my C++ books when I need a change.

Free IDE 's: personality-wise I always like to try out different tools, regardless if I have the ultimate swiss army knife already. I have MSCV# installed in use and it will be primary but I'll browse the forums and see what else has gotten thumbs up.

Thanks, JF

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement