Sign in to follow this  

Gamma Correction Ramp

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I would like to implement a gamma correction "user setting" in my game engine and I would like to know I can do that ? I guess the easiest way to achieve that is to use "SetGammaRamp" and "GetGammaRamp" functions provided by DirectX SDK but how should I modify the ramps based on a single gamma correction factor (float value between 0.0 and 2.5 for example) given by the user ? I think the default gamma ramp values (at directX initialization) are given for a gamma factor of 1.0, right ? Then, what are the mathematical formula to modify all the ramp values when a new gamma factor must be applied ? Thank you in advance for your answer. Cheers Amarhys

Usually you use the gamma value 'γ' (or rather its inverse) as the exponent in an equation like ax1/γ to set the gamma ramp. Since the D3DGAMMARAMP structure contains WORD arrays of 256 elements, the max value 'a' in that equation is 65536, and 'x' ranges between 0 and 1 in 256 increments. Then you just find a good range for the gamma value, like [0.25,1.75].

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.