Book on Multithreading

Started by
2 comments, last by LordShade 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi everyone, Can someone suggest a reading (preferably a book) on Multithreaded programming (also preferably with C++ examples) ? Thanks a lot, PS: I absolutely know nothing about it, and want to have an introduction and possibly do a couple projects with the help of a resource to slowly get into it.
Advertisement
David R. Butenhof's Programming with POSIX Threads is very well written. If you have a POSIX system handy, I'd definitely go with this one.

The examples are in C, but since the Boost thread library's interface is more-or-less modelled after that of pthreads, you can actually C++-ise the examples quite easily. In fact, you might even be able to play along on Windows without too much difficulty.

Patterns For Parallel Programming by Mattson et al is also pretty good. It's less about the nitty gritty of threads and the associated primitives and more about how to break problems down so that they can solved using parallel algorithms.

Examples are in Java, and the C bindings for MPI and OpenMP. The basics of all three systems are briefly explained too, which is nice. The only thing I didn't really like about this one is that it tended to repeat itself.
Wow, I was *just* about to post the same questions. Anybooks that show and talk about BOOST (so multi platform)?
Inside NT was one of the best books I've read on the internals of an operating system.

Goes indepth on threading, disk access and, like the title says, other NT internals. Granted, NT is an older operating system, but the the premises and technology are still very current. It will give you that "behind the scenes" understanding that is often overlooked by other dev books.

Not only that, the book is cheap too.

Happy coding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement