Sign in to follow this  

C++ preprocessor hackery -- forcing macro evaluation

This topic is 3598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there. I know the C++ preprocessor is highly discouraged and the use of macros is seen as evil. However, I still want to use it to avoid major pain when doing a trivial operation. It's boiler-plate code and I'd be so much better off if I generalized it a bit. The MSVC preprocessor supports this little macro: __COUNTER__. It's supposed to start at 0 and increment every time it's evaluated. This would be very handy: in my boiler-plate code, I wanna declare something (a functor actually) with a unique name, use it, then throw it away. So I'll paste a name and this number together with the ## macro. The problem is that if I use __COUNTER__ multiple times inside the same macro, I get a different number every time! :) Obvious, isn't it? Ok, so what I wanna do is have a helper macro that takes a parameter; the parameter we pass it is __COUNTER__. If this is evaluated *before* it's passed on to the helper macro, we're set (the same number will be used throughout the whole macro). However if it's not, I'll still get multiple __COUNTER__ things inside the helper macro, resulting in different numbers every time it's used. So, forcing a macro's parameter to be evaluated... is it possible?

#define YOURMACRO(X) X X
#define HELPER(X) YOURMACRO(X)

HELPER(__COUNTER__)

The code line undergoes a first preprocessor pass which turns it into (assuming the counter has a value of zero):
YOURMACRO(0)

Which then undergoes the second pass of the preprocessor and yields:
0 0

ToohrVyk: That's right, the solution was obvious :) What I was doing was a bit too contrived and I managed to screw it up. I see now why I was under the impression that __COUNTER__ wasn't being evaluated properly. Thank you!

stonemetal: I wasn't more specific because I knew someone would point me to boost lambda ;)

Even using that (excellent) library, I'd like a syntax that I can use every day and not worry about too many details. This is what I came up with:

//a function that accepts our lambda function and calls it
template <class F>
void caller_func(F &f) {
cout<<f(10)<<endl;
}

void main() {
//call the function and pass it a lambda function
Let {
float Lambda (float x) {
return x+1;
};
} In caller_func(lambda);

}

Works like a charm. It's just a locally defined functor, the macros are there to make it more readable and to avoid having to come up with a different name every time and changing it in the right places (error prone). I might change the names of the macros to avoid conflicts though.

[EDIT] I can post the macro definitions here if anyone's interested.

This topic is 3598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.