Sign in to follow this  

What Language do u prefer?

This topic is 3582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've recently become quite fond of the immutable portion of Objective Caml. The resulting code is shorter than with imperative side-effect programming and it inherently enforces good programming practices as far as coupling goes.

I'm becoming more and more fond of Java. I had touched on it awhile back, but then last year I did a fairly extensive amount of coding in UnrealScript, which has a very Java like syntax. I've recently picked up working with Java and I just find it to be pretty intuitive, has some decent IDEs for it, and is fairly widely supported with some great toolsets available for game development.

I'd like to get into Python, but it is a bit abstract to me and I just don't have time right now to really delve into multiple languages. I have a much stronger interest in building games than their underlying technologies.

I prefer C++. I think it is the standard language and good for making games [smile] In school also we had C, C++ basics so there was no need for looking elsewhere. C# and .net is also very popular among developers and some say C# is more friendly.

C++ and C# are not very different so if we know one other will not be too complex I think [wink]

Quote:
Original post by kimi
C++ and C# are not very different

I object. C++ and C# are two totally different languages. I could fill pages describing the differences (and I don't even know C# very well).

I use Pascal for game-development. many people think it's an old and dead language but infact it isn't. I found it very easy to learn, and it is almost as powerfull as C++, but IMHO alot safer and easier to learn. There are alot cool game libraries available in pascal. Check www.pascalgamedevelopment.com

Pitty Pascal isn't very populair these day's. :(

Ok, sorry for the late follow up.

I prefer a mix of C and C++ for many reasons, it is supported on (almost) all hardware platforms that exist in the known universe, it has the most widespread support in terms of specialized libraries, it gets as close as you can get to the actual hardware without turning into assembly, I think that the fact of it being compiled for actual hardware rather than interpreted or compiled for a virtual machine is a good thing because of speed, executable file size and not requiring a framework/virtual machine/interpreter to be previously installed in order to run.

Now that is just my opinion, everyone else is entitled to theirs. [smile]

This has been done to death, but I prefer c++ because of the number of libraries and samples available for it. The down side is that
a) Compiler errors are sometimes completely meaningless.
b) You have to use include guards, unless your implementation supports somethign better.
c) Extra verbosity in many places.

But I still find it easier to make stuff in c++ than other languages, probably just down to experience.

I prefer haXe and Python nowadays. haXe can be compiled to Flash, Neko and javascript, pretty cool for a single language (and there's some talk on the mailing lists of supporting other platforms as well in the future). Python is great for quick prototypes and small tools. I use it to take care of the tedious parts. :)

Python though I don't actually code that much, I try but I need people to help me and that ever means friends of money, and since I have no money and a 'normal' (hate using that word) (I mean not A LOT of friends) I am stumped.

Any how, to who ever said that python is to weird or something of the like I beg to differ: Python is so simple I taught my self, it is exactly (almost) like just speaking.

Just a humble opinion.

Munchkin.

C#

I started with C++ in middle school and have been using it on my job the last two years, but even all that usage couldn't stop me from gravitating towards C#. Things are just so much more simple and fun in C#.

I also like Python and Haskell, although I haven't used either recently.

This topic is 3582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.