HELP NEED STEPS INTO CREATING A GAME AND CGI

Started by
9 comments, last by Chrono1081 16 years, 2 months ago
Okay this is my first thread an my first time here im a good 3d model designer an now im looking into making my models into games an cgi movies but im not sure were to start i was wondering if people can tell me the steps into creating a a game or movie thank you
CHRIS DIAZ
Advertisement
1. Learn to program.
2. Come up with a game idea.
3. Try and combine steps 1 and 2.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you come up with what you want.
WATS A GOOD 3D PROGRAMMING PROGRAM
I WANT TO CREATE A REAL HIGH DEF GAME

THANK YOU
CHRIS DIAZ
Quote:Original post by CHRISDIAZ2K4

THANK YOU
Are you looking to do programming by hand, or do you want something simple where you can point and click? Both types of product exist. Be more specific in want you want to do, and we can point you down the right path.

MMORPG? Try RealmCrafter

Then there are other things I don't keep track of, like FPS Creator, 3d Game Maker, DX Studio, etc...

Also. You should start to type like an intelligent human being, or you might as well leave, because you won't get much help typing like that.
Point an click programs would be a good start for me
CHRIS DIAZ
first of all, you should turn off caps-lock and take the time to post the message you have in mind, even if you're not a native English speaker (like me). Let me quote someone for the sake of making things more clear: "If you write 'plz', I'm compelled with replying 'no', just because it's shorter then 'yes'"...

Now, you must really think about what you want to do. Learning a programming language takes a long time (for me to get the basics of C++, one and a half year). After this you can start learning to work with a 3D API, like DirectX, openGL or other API's. You could also choose, instead of working with a API, to start working with a engine, or graphics library, like 'ogre', 'sdl' or something like that.

Building "A REAL HIGH DEF GAME" however, takes a lot of times. If you don't believe me, take a commercial game, and look at the credits at the end of the game. If you want to create a game like that you could join a team of hobbyists/enthousiasts, however, these teams most of the time require you having some skills with creating games.

My advice: Start with a specific language (most people will advice you not to start with C++, but with Python or Ruby), make simple programs... And remember: Start small. Like tetris or breakout. Then start with something like pacman, then create a small 2D game. And then (after +/- 2-3 years) start working on a 3D game.

Creating games takes a lot of commitment, and you must be willing to learn new things, not only graphics-related, but also math-related.

I hope my post helps you out and clears up a few things ;-)

-Max
Okay this is my first thread an my first time here im a good 3d model designer an now im looking into making my models into games an cgi movies but im not sure were to start i was wondering if people can tell me the steps into creating a a game or movie

thank you

Games and CGI movies are distinctly different. Which do you want to do?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I agree with mad max, programming is something that takes time. I learned java last fall(2006) and winter(2007). I learned some c++ in the past fall, which I sitll don't fully understand the concepts of pointers and such. I know many think programming is good pay for a relatively easy job but its not. I know so many 1st years drop out cause they thought it would be easy. Start of the semester, 30 ppl in the class. Near the end 10-15. I suggest for you to pick up a c++ book. Look on amazon or ask around here for whats good, and go from there.

I myself need to look at making a couple simple 2d games with c++. Before my friend and i dive into our idea.
Thanks alot everybody im going to pick up a C++ book this week
CHRIS DIAZ

THANK YOU

This is a forum. The communication here is not real-time. You can take as much time as you need to check what you have written, before you submit it. Doing so is therefore a good idea; it makes a much more favourable impression.

Bluntly: To avoid looking like a n00b, check caps lock before you post, instead of apologizing after. Ditto spelling, grammar and punctuation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement