Sign in to follow this  

... I'm feeling kinda stupid putting this in here...

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't program. In fact, I never had any experience with programming. Therefore, why the hell am I here, anyway? Well, I'm concerned about the industry in general. I have plans for my career - that's located in the video game industry. Yet, I'm unsure about which branch I'll take on. I'm could've take this questions to a counselor, but in Portugal there is not much experience in this area, so I'd doubt he'd have anything interesting to say. I draw, only if a little and it's basically simple. That's as much of art background that I have. It's at least something, compared to programming (That, I heard, leads me to developing and really comes in handy in this area. Could you correct me, if I wrong and, you know, give me alternatives, please?). Better take it to the pro's, right? Well, if you read until here, I think I should already stop bothering with self-explanation, although I do think there's more coming up - somehow... As I made clear, I want to work in the videogame industry and I thought about all the areas involved in the video game industry. I've come to two conclusions: Developing (Fiction Writer, Screen Writer, Game Designer or Level Designer, all of my interest, but I'm more keen on Fiction Writing); Conceptual Art (Characters/Units, Story Board and Landscape are possible options.). Why? Well, I'm a very imaginative kid - mind you I don't fully agree and these words are strictly not my own as I think that there are people out there with such a 'Wow!' mind... - and I spend a good deal of my time drawing and writing ideas for an history, a world, a character and even whole species of them. I even went lenghts to keep stuff in my mind for a full year (Idea that was to be made a small book - I even made some excerts for some teachers - but never got going with it, since I couldn't put it on paper). I'm sorry if I'm sounding, you know, a little bit too narcisist, but I'm being completely honest when I say I do these things. Plus, I'm a very perfectionist guy and I try to strive for originality. I even bothered to think of something never seen before - such as an Arabic based (Music, culture - mind you, I don't play around with beliefs of any sort, if I do, it's the newly created culture, not real life cultures), only to find out Homeworld had already done it for me. X( (The Higaaran's lived in a desert world and were, in terms of soundtrack, very Arabic-like) I draw, only if a little and it's basically simple. That's as much of art background that I have. It's at least something, compared to programming (That, I heard, leads me to developing and really comes in handy in this area. Could you correct me, if I wrong and, you know, give me alternatives, please?). *Sigh.* My real question are... Is the industry too hard? Of course it's competitive, but is it too hard to find a job? Are there are specialized schools in England for this sort of studies (I know Norwish's School of Art and Design, for conceptual art)? What is your opinion on both areas of work? Thanks for the response, in advance. I also might add that I'm sorry for my gramatical errors. English isn't my first language at all and all I know is due to video games (Namely Pokemon Blue =) ) and, in a lesser degree, movies. Please, moderators, move this to a proper place if not in it's correct zone. Namaste.

Have you looked at all of your favo(u)rite game company's websites and see what they want? for example google: lucasarts jobs = this. Not just the big guys, but also the small studios whom the big guys contract.

Quote:
Original post by MauroTheMoor
Is the industry too hard? Of course it's competitive, but is it too hard to find a job?

No, it's just hard enough.

Quote:
Are there are specialized schools in England for this sort of studies (I know Norwish's School of Art and Design, for conceptual art)?

Yes. But you don't necessarily need to study at one of those. Read the FAQs.

If you are good in drawing then may be should learn how to create 3D models and should go for game designing. Artist are very important in game development. There are various disciplines in game development. Getting a nice degree from some college will obviously help. Here we do not have any such things and I am just learning computer science [sad]

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.