• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I just want some ListdataType classes to work with

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently using Dev-Cpp, but apparently that doesn't come with STL? I found a website documenting STL here: here
Quote:
This is a short primer on the STL or "Standard Template Library" for the programming language C++ as defined in the 1997 standard.
I downloaded the .h files and placed them into the /includes folder and wrote code as they have on the site, but I'm still receiving errors. Is there a recommended and convenient way to import a header file and off the bat be able to begin using classes such as a generic LinkList? I think Java has spoiled me a bit. I'm frustrated with C++ because I've already written LinkList classes before, I can't justify reinventing the wheel and I'm not cozy enough with C++ to catch all my errors with pointers and such, surely there is a more standard/graceful way.

Advertisement
Why don't you not use Dev-cpp?

Visual C++ express and Code::Blocks are free alternatives. I recommend microsoft's IDE if you're running Windows.

I'm pretty sure STL is part of the default Dev-C++ install. At least if you installed the Dev-C++ with MingW compiler tools bundle for windows.

I don't think installing STL by copy/paste the header files is recommended either.

Make sure you include the header files without the .h extension. Eg.

#include <list> // Right
#include <list.h> // Wrong

If that doesn't help you could always try to reinstall Dev-C++

Quote:
Original post by sakatius
I downloaded the .h files and placed them into the /includes folder and wrote code as they have on the site, but I'm still receiving errors. Is there a recommended and convenient way to import a header file and off the bat be able to begin using classes such as a generic LinkList?

The class is called 'list', it is in the namespace 'std' (so you write std::list, if you aren't 'using' the namespace or the list declaration), and it comes from the header '<list>' (no .h). If it doesn't work, something is wrong with your installation.

(Also, surely you can spare a couple of extra letters to describe your own effort as a LinkedList. After all, the links may be how you make the list, but they're not *what you store*.)

Ah, yes, and it was that I was not "using std::list;" -- it's been a while, thanks all for your input!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement