Sign in to follow this  

going to school

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So...I start classes in a week. I'm going for COmputer science, ideally I want to start a career in game developing, in writing. I'm just wondering if there's any books or articles or anything out there you'd recommend for a person with absolutely NO history in computer coding so I don't come across as a complete idiot in school. Any advice is appreciated.

Most of your classmates will be in the same boat as you (not knowing anything).

I'd probably just try to find out what textbooks you'll be using and get one of those ahead of time.

For example, if one of your classes is "Introduction to somelanguage programming", it might be good to grab the suggested textbook and read a chapter or two. I personally wouldn't really worry about it, but if you want to get ahead of the game it wouldn't hurt.

"Never let your classes interfere with your education."
-- fortune

OK, make sure you study some useful stuff in your own time. Lots of the students in my software engineering course have trouble because they don't practice outside of lessons. You will pick up the basics on your course, but in your own time you won't be limited to the tasks you are given.

It depends on your school too how much you will learn but learning outside is always a great option. For example when I went to penn state for computer science honestly we didnt do much at all as far as programming and I had to study all kinds of different stuff outside of class (which I later forgot cause I never got to use it), when I switched to devry thats ALL we do is programming (and its great!) and I rarely study outside of class cause we learn so much in class. Do it really depends on your school and the kind of computer science program they offer but its always good to study what you learned in class out side of class cause you never know what the prof might have missed.

sorry for rambling its morning and I want to go back to bed :(

To back up what speciesUnknown is saying when interviewing people we count spending personal time trying to make games or game tech as a great bonus, and a lack of the above can be the nail in the coffin of a someone who was borderline. Having said that sharp technical skills are always going to impress.

Good luck!

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.