Integrating the platform SDK help into visual studio express 2008

Started by
0 comments, last by benryves 16 years, 2 months ago
I just installed visual studio 2008 express edition and while I can use the platform SDK in my application (or atleast a basic win32 app works), the documentation isn't there. Looking at the Microsoft site it says the express edition comes with "MSDN express edition", which I'm guessing means basic, stripped down version :( I just reinstalled an older version of the platform SDK, chose not to register the environmental variables, and visual studio still works fine, and I get the documentation, albeit in a separate viewer. Does anyone know how to integrate that properly in with visual studio ? I remember reading somewhere ages ago it's possible to add your own compiled HTML help pages to visual studio, I just can't remember how, or where I read it.
Advertisement
It's a tricky customer to locate, I'll admit that. Try doing a search for "Help Collection Manager" or something similar.

In any case, these are the two URLs that work for me (paste them into the address bar in the help viewer).

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v90/dv_vscccommon/local/collectionmanager.htm (2008).
ms-help://MS.VSExpressCC.v80/dv_vsexpcc/local/CollectionManagerExpress.htm (2005).

Note that the settings appear to only apply to the instance of the help viewer that has been run from a particular location - for example, viewing the WSDK documentation from the Start Menu gives me different favourites and settings to viewing the documentation from launching the viewer via Visual C# Express.

You will need to run the viewer as administrator, apply the changes, then run it again as administrator to complete the changes.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement