Sign in to follow this  

Rigid Body Dynamics: Indetifying Interpenetration

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, I've been working on rigid body physics on and off lately, and have reached a stage whereby I have implemented resting contact using contact forces (Not sure what this method is called, but I have worked off this article). Now, as far as I am aware, my contact forces work correctly. However, my method of determining weather or not a collision (supports edge - edge and edge - vertex collisions), appears sporadic at best. The way I am doing it is by detecting an intersection, then calculating the distance between the original vertex's position (this is before edge - edge collisions are accounted for, but they're just edge - vertex cases anyway) and the position just after the intersection has occurred. If this value is below some threshold value, then I assume the object is moving slow enough that inter-penetration becomes an issue. Does this seam like a reliable method, in need of some tweaking, or is there a better way to detect these things? Thanks in advance, Liam M.

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.