Sign in to follow this  

What is the Deferred Shading?

This topic is 3585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the Deferred Shading? Did any article or book or website describe it in detail? Could somebody show the place where is it? [Edited by - akira32 on April 23, 2009 12:19:17 AM]

I could be completely off here, but my guess is that deferred shadowing referrs to the process of applying a shadow map in a screen-space post-process.

So basically you do a depth-only pass of your scene (if you're doing deferred shading, you'll have a depth texture in your fat frame buffer anyway) and then using a shadow map you computed earlier, you decide which pixels are in shadow and which are in light.
Since applying a shadow map can be costly (particularly when filtering is involved), this is usually very efficient because it eliminates overdraw and the performance loss associated with it.

If you really meant deferred shadowing, not deferred shading, then "Shader X5" is your book, in particular "Cascaded Shadow Maps" by Wolfgang Engel, and "Queried Virtual Shadow Maps" by Markus Giegl and Michael Wimmer. They both describe it a bit differently, but the essence is about reducing the number of passes for the many shadow maps they use.

Giegl/Wimmer is freely available as pre-print on the internet (use Google). I'm not aware of Engel being freely available (which doesn't mean it isn't, though).

you render the shadow result from the cascaded shadow maps into a screen-size texture. You fetch this texture while lighting your scene.
What you can render into this texture are in-door, out-door and cloud shadows. If you use a 8:8:8:8 texture you can give each of them even a different color later.

hi,
so if i understand this correctly you do your shadow map creation per light as before. but then in a second pass you render this shadow map into a screen size map so that you have te shadow information per pixel precalculated. this is done with a prerendered depth texture.

you can pack 4 lights shadows like this into one texture. do i understand this correctly?

This topic is 3585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.