• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theMachinimator

Video Card caps

This topic is 3959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You can obtain information on the device's capabilities via Direct3D by (for D3D9) using the IDirect3D9::GetDeviceCaps() API.

To obtaint the amount of VRAM available you can also use ddraw for information, the code is a little bit trickier than that.

Best Regards,
Porthos

You can get all sorts of information with glGetInteger and glGetString but you can't get VRAM. FOr VRAM, there are OS specific ways like looking in the registry or using DirectDraw.

Quote:
Original post by theMachinimator
Dang... we're using Java and we need to support PC, Mac and Linux with no special-case code.
I think that's a bit of a pipe dream [grin]

on windows you can use the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

on Linux/MacOS you might have to do some lspci magic - I'm not linux expert btw.

The most reliable way (which is also probably the weakest in terms of coding metrics such as reliability and scalability) is to maintain a database of device caps or query an online one somewhere, though don't quote me on that "solution"

Quote:
Original post by theMachinimator
Dang... we're using Java and we need to support PC, Mac and Linux with no special-case code.

Why do you think you need to know the vram size? OpenGL deliberately doesn't expose this information because you're not supposed to know (or care) where textures actually live and what your actual server/vram size is. I suspect you don't actually need to know, you just think you do. [grin]

On the other hand, if you really really want to know then you can mess around with the glAreTexturesResident function.

the thing about memory is ards nowadays can use system RAM as memory so the points not valid like it used to be, what u should be concerned with is, does it run fast enuf?

I'm going to suggest that you don't rely glAreTexturesResident because on some drivers, it just returns 1 no matter what, even if you create 1 gig of textures.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!