Sign in to follow this  

SQL and C++

This topic is 3594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

You can do literally anything in C++ that you can do in any other language.

However, C++ is obviously too low level for you and is likely the wrong tool for what you want to do.

I strongly suggest you switch to C#, or Python, or Java...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
I think you missed the point of many of the replies to your other thread.


Ripoff, Thanks But no I didn't. I need to use an program to in order to send email. Well I was hoping I could send email right from the code with out reqiring an extra program to do it for me.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
I think you missed the point of many of the replies to your other thread.


Ripoff, Thanks But no I didn't. I need to use an program to in order to send email. Well I was hoping I could send email right from the code with out reqiring an extra program to do it for me.


Exactly, you missed the point. You can send an email right from your code using libraries. Email is essentially a text conversation over TCP sockets. There are plenty of TCP socket libraries usable from C++, therefore one can an email using C++.

I'm not sure if you understand what a library is. A library is just compiled code someone else has written for you. It isn't a program. Is there any reason you won't use a library?

Magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
I think you missed the point of many of the replies to your other thread.


Ripoff, Thanks But no I didn't. I need to use an program to in order to send email. Well I was hoping I could send email right from the code with out reqiring an extra program to do it for me.


Exactly, you missed the point. You can send an email right from your code using libraries. Email is essentially a text conversation over TCP sockets. There are plenty of TCP socket libraries usable from C++, therefore one can an email using C++.

I'm not sure if you understand what a library is. A library is just compiled code someone else has written for you. It isn't a program. Is there any reason you won't use a library?

Magic.


Thanks again Ripoff. See the problem is finding some one who would help. Getting the information is easy. Just setting up and so on is not. I never used one before. I Download one a long time a go. and couldn't get any help with it.
Thats the problem. If I could get the help I needed to use the library. That would work for me.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Then the question you should really be asking:

Quote:
What is a good library for doing SQL/Email/Whatever in C++?


Followed by (once you've found one you think might do the job):

Quote:

Im trying to use library X. I've tried reading the documentation on the X website, it says do Y to set it up on IDE Z, but I get this error message: <insert error message here, in full>, with this sample source code: <code in source tags>.

As you can see from the above, there are too many variables in the above for us to guess at why you were having difficulty setting up a given library.

The first step to getting the help you want is to know how to ask smart questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Ok, your not getting it. I mean SQL 2005, NOT MYSQL


You've got a severe attitude problem. We aren't mind readers. If you meant SQL 2005 then say so up front, and don't blame people when they can't read your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
See the problem is finding some one who would help.
Obviously, because you aren't offering any money for this assistance. Effectively, what you are asking people to do is work for you, and people charge serious money for that. If you are willing to pay, then make a job offer in the right channels.

Quote:
Getting the information is easy. Just setting up and so on is not.
Yes, this would be the part where one puts in hard work. Being a programmer doesn't mean lying back on the couch and Googling all day long. At some point or other, you will have to start thinking on your own, and extrapolating from existing information. Let me put it another way. Every question won't have an answer. For some of them, you will have discover it on your own.

Quote:
I never used one before. I Download one a long time a go. and couldn't get any help with it.
Because, you need to spend time to figure it out. It's called learning. When you have something new in front of you, you need to put in effort to understand how it works. This information may not be out there to Google.

There's a common pattern in your questions. When faced with something new, your response is, "well I don't know this, so either help me out with it or suggest another way". To that we say, pick a higher level language like C# or Python, which come with easy to use libraries. You refuse, insisting on using C++. To which we say, it's difficult, and you need to figure out how to use third party libraries on your own. After which you complain about how difficult it is, and then ask for help again.

Hence the cycle. You display characteristics of a help vampire. I'm telling you this because I assume you actually want to be a programmer, and care to progress as one. If you're just trying to get free work done for you, my post was wasted on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Ok, your not getting it. I mean SQL 2005, NOT MYSQL


You've got a severe attitude problem. We aren't mind readers. If you meant SQL 2005 then say so up front, and don't blame people when they can't read your mind.


If I said SQL and not MySQL. You should know that they are not the same. Read the posts first. before you reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Then the question you should really be asking:

Quote:
What is a good library for doing SQL/Email/Whatever in C++?


Followed by (once you've found one you think might do the job):

Quote:

Im trying to use library X. I've tried reading the documentation on the X website, it says do Y to set it up on IDE Z, but I get this error message: <insert error message here, in full>, with this sample source code: <code in source tags>.

As you can see from the above, there are too many variables in the above for us to guess at why you were having difficulty setting up a given library.

The first step to getting the help you want is to know how to ask smart questions.


Never Mined Ripoff. Sorry I even said any thing. I don't know how else to explain it to you younger people


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
If I said SQL and not MySQL. You should know that they are not the same. Read the posts first. before you reply


Again with the attitude problem. Now you're demonstrating that you don't actually know what SQL means. And, again, blaming others for your own shortcomings. If you bothered doing even the most minimal research you'd see that MySQL does qualify as a "SQL server database" as requested in your original post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Quote:
See the problem is finding some one who would help.
Obviously, because you aren't offering any money for this assistance. Effectively, what you are asking people to do is work for you, and people charge serious money for that. If you are willing to pay, then make a job offer in the right channels.

Quote:
Getting the information is easy. Just setting up and so on is not.
Yes, this would be the part where one puts in hard work. Being a programmer doesn't mean lying back on the couch and Googling all day long. At some point or other, you will have to start thinking on your own, and extrapolating from existing information. Let me put it another way. Every question won't have an answer. For some of them, you will have discover it on your own.

Quote:
I never used one before. I Download one a long time a go. and couldn't get any help with it.
Because, you need to spend time to figure it out. It's called learning. When you have something new in front of you, you need to put in effort to understand how it works. This information may not be out there to Google.

There's a common pattern in your questions. When faced with something new, your response is, "well I don't know this, so either help me out with it or suggest another way". To that we say, pick a higher level language like C# or Python, which come with easy to use libraries. You refuse, insisting on using C++. To which we say, it's difficult, and you need to figure out how to use third party libraries on your own. After which you complain about how difficult it is, and then ask for help again.

Hence the cycle. You display characteristics of a help vampire. I'm telling you this because I assume you actually want to be a programmer, and care to progress as one. If you're just trying to get free work done for you, my post was wasted on you.


1) Yes I heard you the first time.
2) I already have.
I been programing in C++, C/Sharp, and in asp.net. Look Guys if my questions are too hard for you. Then why even bother replying.

3) No I'm not asking any one to program any thing for me. If I let some one else do the programing, I won't learn any thing. Look Guys Sorry I even asked.

I'm Getting too old for the BS guys


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
I been programing in C++, C/Sharp, and in asp.net. Look Guys if my questions are too hard for you. Then why even bother replying.


You have gotten plenty of straight forward answers. The fact that you don't understand the answers does not mean that your questions are too hard for us. If you want better answers, then ask better questions. Has it occurred to you that what you are trying to do is simply beyond your current capabilities? If you can't find and use a library that will let you communicate with a SQL database, or let you send email, then you simply have no business doing such things yet. Start simpler, walk before you run, etc. Otherwise, (as has been said over and over again) SWITCH LANGUAGES and pick a language that supports the features you need.

[Edited by - CodeMunkie on February 12, 2008 3:46:03 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by CodeMunkie
Quote:
I been programing in C++, C/Sharp, and in asp.net. Look Guys if my questions are too hard for you. Then why even bother replying.


You have gotten plenty of straight forward answers. The fact that you don't understand the answers does not mean that your questions are too hard for us. If you want better answers, then ask better questions. Has it occurred to you that what you are trying to do is simply beyond your current capabilities? If you can't find and use a library that will let you communicate with a SQL database, or let you send email, then you simply have no business doing such things yet. Start simpler, walk before you run, etc. Otherwise, (as has been said over and over again) SWITCH LANGUAGES and pick a language that supports the features you need.


Sorry, I even asked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by yaustar
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?


The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

and are there any libraries that are free. I won't waste my time with 30 day trials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

What is 'it'? There is more then one library for SQL access. What software is the server running? MS SQL 2005 database?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:
Original post by yaustar
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?


The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

and are there any libraries that are free. I won't waste my time with 30 day trials


No, no. Those are two questions and you asked them too soon.

The next Question would be:

Q. What library would you recommend if I want to use <insert SQL database name here>?


P.S. I'd answer, but I personally do not have that much experience with SQL usage from C++.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/data/mfc_database/ado/article.php/c6729/

"Microsoft ActiveX Data Object (ADO) provides an easy way to data access and manipulation that is independent of data stores, tools, and languages. This flexibility and easy-to-code facility makes ADO the perfect choice for developers. ADO is implemented with Component Object Model (COM) interfaces. Unlike VB programmers, C++ programmers must know the details of using COM for using ADO. So, using ADO from C++ is still very complex. But, it is possible to get an easy ADO programming model from C++, which can help to hide the details of using COM. In this article, I demonstrate a C++ class to do this that encapsulates the ADO connection object. You can apply same technique for encapsulating other ADO objects."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Radan
Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:
Original post by yaustar
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?


The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

and are there any libraries that are free. I won't waste my time with 30 day trials


No, no. Those are two questions and you asked them too soon.

The next Question would be:

Q. What library would you recommend if I want to use <insert SQL database name here>?


P.S. I'd answer, but I personally do not have that much experience with SQL usage from C++.


then I need to word my posts better. what part is it that you didn't under stand.

I SAID WHAT LIBRARIES can I get that are free to use and I didn't want to waste my time with 30 day trials.

Any way can some one give me an idea about what library to get for both SQL and emails. and I will need some samples for it


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the only sql 2005 I know of is ms sql server 2005 for which going by ms's website is probably the easiest way to find it. It is free and has documentation on their website on how to use it. Personally I would use mysql which is also free, as it has the larger community making it easier to find someone who has used it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
the only sql 2005 I know of is ms sql server 2005 for which going by ms's website is probably the easiest way to find it. It is free and has documentation on their website on how to use it. Personally I would use mysql which is also free, as it has the larger community making it easier to find someone who has used it before.


ok, your not getting it

See. I all ready have it. and its installed. I just wanted to see if there was an option that where C++ can access and use a SQL server 2005 database. and remember. that SQL server 2005 also works with database files. and not just the server. If you get the idea here.

I want to be able to Add, delete, query, and any thing else with a SQL 2005 server database in C++. So far I haven't found any thing thats easy and good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is 3594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this