• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Camera question

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a camera class that is basically transforming vectors to be used with gluLookAt later... I am trying to turn the camera using mouse events... Here is a very basic idea behind the code, (PS: I'm just testing, this is not the real implementation...)
int x = LOWORD(msg.lParam);
int y = HIWORD(msg.lParam);

if (x > width/2)
	c->TurnCamera((float)-x/500);
else if (x < width/2)
	c->TurnCamera((float)x/500);

if (y > height/2)
	c->CameraLookUp((float)-y/500);
else if (y < height/2)
	c->CameraLookUp((float)y/500);

SetCursorPos((float)width/2,(float)height/2);

c is a pointer to camera x and y will represent the x and y of the mouse on screen each frame... each frame i center the cursor using SetCursorPos ... Now I am assuming there's nothing wrong with my camera methods because, when I remove this part:
if (y > height/2)
else if (y < height/2)

the camera will just turn perfectly... and when I remove this part:
if (y > height/2)
else if (y < height/2)

again everything works fine and the camera will look up and down.. but when I combine both transformations, it works ALMOST fine, but looks as if the camera has been rotated around the Z axis.. After thinking about this for a while I have concluded that I should rotate the camera around the Z axis manually and with a Delta Angle of arccos (x/y) ... But of course it didnt work... Anyway can help on this? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement