DirectX9 Direct3D 2D games...

Started by
26 comments, last by Tom 16 years, 2 months ago
So what would you use?
I still can't find a tutorial suitable for Direct3D 2D games :( .
Try not to take this post's purpose to a different direction...
Advertisement
As I mentioned look up using D3DXSprites as they are a utility for easy 2d image display without needed to do any 3d work. Just initialize DirectX and call LoadTexture(). Then to draw its simple sprite.draw().
Quote:Original post by adam4813
... Just initialize DirectX ...

THATS THE WHOLE PROBLEM!!!

there are quite a few tutorials about managed directX and direct3D out there on the internet.
just google for it.

I typed "vb direct3d sprite tutorial"
and I found http://geekswithblogs.net/clingermangw/articles/83997.aspx

good luck with your 2d game. Im making a 2d game engine myself with c# so if you have any further questions regarding sprites, etc. you can ask me.

ID
BennyK, VB.NET does not appear to be a popular game development language these days. Sure, people do use it, but the vast majority (gaming or otherwise) of .NET material is for C#. Native application development on Windows is primarily C/C++.

If you go against the common flow in any technology then you have to appreciate that there are less resources and less people available to answer your specific questions.

Thankfully .NET API's are pretty much identical regardless of which language you use. I'm sure you can read enough C#-Direct3D code to get a good idea of what to type for your VB.NET-Direct3D code. Intellisense, documentation and these forums will fill in the final few details.

Have a go at reading the C# samples and articles and see where you get to. If there are any specific fragments of DX-specific code you can't translate then feel free to come back here, post what you found, post your attempted conversion and see if we can help out.

Best of luck!

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks id0001, I have a look there. Looks promising...
jollyjeffers: I don't think C# is more or less popular then VB... They are basically the same languages except that C# looks a bit more like C or Java as far as I can tell. Most of the tutorials I found have both VB and C# examples...
BTW, is that true for all .NET languages?(besides ASP)
Quote:BTW, is that true for all .NET languages?(besides ASP)

you can convert any .net language into an other .net language.

I exported my game engine into a dll file and then I made a game with vb using my game engine's dll included as a reference.

Quote:Original post by MJP
SDL defaults to GDI, even if you specify that you want a hardware device. This is because DirectDraw no longer provides hardware acceleration.

Ok.
Is there any link or proof your statement ?
You say that DirectDraw no longer provides hardware acceleration.
If it's the case, I don't understand because ddraw.dll is still present.
The main problem with using DirectDraw in DirectX9 is that It doesn't support blitting anymore which was why it was so fast.
Now it's much slower without this option, and even slower when not using FullScreenExclusive mode, which makes a LOT of problems.
Quote:Original post by HolyGrail
Quote:Original post by MJP
SDL defaults to GDI, even if you specify that you want a hardware device. This is because DirectDraw no longer provides hardware acceleration.

Ok.
Is there any link or proof your statement ?
You say that DirectDraw no longer provides hardware acceleration.
If it's the case, I don't understand because ddraw.dll is still present.

DirectDraw is still there and is usable, but it's not hardware accelerated anymore. Modern GPU's just dont have any support for that stuff in hardware anymore because directdraw is obsolete.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement