Sign in to follow this  

Level Editor - Tool Selection

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My main application uses SDL (w/ OpenGL rendering), in C++. All of my world data is in XML format. I need to make some sort of editor to allow easier world creation. I seem to be totally stuck when deciding which route to go. - Building the editor into the engine with wxWidgets seems like it would be nice, but I can't seem to figure out how to integrate all 3 (SDL, OpenGL, and wxWidgets). Searching google, it seems many other people have run into this same issue. The only solution I've found is SDL + wxWidgets with software rendering. - Building a stand-alone editor in C#. This allows easy form creation. But the problem is that I have to re-write all of my rendering code, XML parsing code, etc, into C#. For this solution, I would do C# + SDL, and do software rendering. - Building a stand-alone editor in C++. GUI creation is slightly more painstaking, but I can keep all of my written XML/rendering code. I would just use SDL + wxWidgets and do software rendering. This seems like the best option so far, but it is not satisfying: if I am going through the trouble of taking the editor out of my engine, I would love to go the C# route in order to ease GUI production. Any advice? Very frustrating so far !

wxWidgets is pretty flexible, and I know it can work in conjunction with OpenGL. What specific problems are introduced by SDL? Going the C# route sounds bad... lots of glue code to connect your C++ to C# with CLI... possible, but error-prone, tedious, etc.

Why can't you use WxWidgets and OpenGL, what does SDL give you in the editor?

But for me, I might consider the C# way.

Have you looked at the tile-based editors that already exist?

If you're considering wxWidgets, you might want to take a look at IUP ( http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/ ). It's smaller, simpler, and easier to use. It's not built on top of SDL, so you would have to use the input callbacks provided from the library. It integrates with OpenGL fairly easily.

Also, here's give a nice comparison some of the more popular GUI libraries:

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/toolkits.html

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
If you are using Wx what would you use SDL for? Wx already provides everything SDL would provide for a level editor. It supports opengl directly.

Input, for one.

I think there's a way to use it with WxWidgets (I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere), but it was more of hack than anything.

Quote:
Original post by zeeli
Look into Trolltech Qt.
It's so easy, has built in opengl support/widgets + shitload of 2d graphics stuff and it is cross-platform!

It has also a great documentation collection

edit: There's also a XML module!

Best Regards

It also costs ~$1000 per license if you are not going to open source your work, take DAZ Studio for example, it uses Qt, its interface is beautiful, runs on Windows and Mac (could run on Linux) and it is free (as in beer), BUT if want access to the SDK, you have to get a commercial Qt license, which goes for $1000. Stay away from Qt.

As many others in this thread, I would recommend using wxWidgets, just use a WxGLCanvas control to encapsulate all your OpenGL code much like you're currently doing with SDL, but taking advantage of the other widgets like menus, buttons, etc, if you're using SDL just to initialize your OpenGL window and take care of the message pump, you should be able to easily do the same with wxWidgets.

Edit by Steve: Removed zeeli's real name from quote by his request.

[Edited by - Evil Steve on October 8, 2009 5:18:39 AM]

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.