Sign in to follow this  

GUI programing question

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm currently working on a GUI for my Mame Arcade cabinet, I know there's plenty around but I want to program my own. Basically what I want is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVIc11x_vk&feature=related Notice all the effects going on. That's what I want to achieve. I use linux, so I was thinking SDL, since it also could be ported. Any other alternatives? Thx in advance.

One word: Maths

You need to know a lot of maths to achieve that GUI :P. Look up on Sinus and Cosinus and you should be able to make that GUI. Also checkout maths on smooth movement.

If i were looking to achieve that GUI, i'd be looking at straight open gl on Linux. That UI doesn't look difficult to make at all, most UIs arn't. Do you have any specific questions?

I've made my own GUI using nothing but openGL code. If you are using SDL you could re-use my code to get things running on your system. Have a look on my website for VMK38 in the game development series.

Quote:
Original post by mmakrzem
I've made my own GUI using nothing but openGL code. If you are using SDL you could re-use my code to get things running on your system. Have a look on my website for VMK38 in the game development series.

Thank you, you have some nice tutorials. I'll check it out.

I correct myself tho, I havent been working on, rather I'm starting to work on it, what I want to figure out first is which API should I work with.

The thing is, all I'll be programing is the GUI, which only show a list of games and then call an external emulator, so I was thinking working in pure OpenGL would only slow me down, I could be totally wrong tho, this would be my first graphical programing, I've been working with web programing instead, so my experience on this is close to none.

What do you think about PyGame?

Thanks for the help =)

As with so many questions posted on these boards, the answer depends on what you are trying to acheive. If you want a bog standard menu then SDL will probably do nicely. However if you want a fully featured extensible UI library then it is likely that SDL won't do the lot.

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.