Sign in to follow this  

Programing for PSP

This topic is 3548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo, I bought my self a PSP a few days ago. Mostly to have something to kill time with while traveling. But after doing some reading have been wanting to create a small game for it myself. So, a few questions: 1. Is it easy to use the free development kit for the PSP? 2. Is programing for the PSP a lot harder then programming for my PC? If anyone has any experience I would be glad to hear them. Regars, Ole Kristian

It's a rough ride to begin with.

Installing the SDK is a pain in the rear end, and some of the hoops you have to jump through to get a 'Hello world' on the thing for the first time can have you tearing your hair out, but once that's over with it's a breeze.

The homebrew SDK has a custom graphics API, not too disimmilar from OpenGL, which has plenty of turorials and example code to help you out.

I started by porting an old Breakout clone I made a few years ago. Nice to breath new life into my old masterpiece :)

My advice is go ahead and try it. For hell's sake follow the downgrading instructions carefully, and be sure to get the files from a reputable source. A bricked PSP is an expensive paperweight.

I haven't used the homebrew PSP stuff, but it's always a bit of a challenge porting any significantly-sized PC stuff to PSP. So yeah, I'd say it's definitely harder to program than PC, but not that much. You just have to be careful about memory usage, and optimizing for PSP can be a pain. Again, I'm not sure what the homebrew stuff offers you in terms of that.

hello,

I'm interested also in coding on psp...
here some like that can be usefull for beginners :
http://www.psp-vault.com/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-9427.psp
http://psp-coding.com/

++

I have made stuff for both the PSP and PS2. Both using MIPS.
Either way, I don't think it's really worth it on the PSP. Until Sony allows homebrew software, it is just too much trouble.

I was part of a 3 man team that built a cheat device for the PS2 and the PSP called Code Majic. The device was a huge success and worked online as well as offline. Allowed loops and other functions that Devices like "Gameshark" and the others did not have.

However, we could never get anyone to press the disc and it had to be released with exploits. It made it next to impossible to deliver to people and ended up being a huge pain.

If you want to dev for a platform, my best advice would be to look at the Wii. Nintendo is allowing ANYONE to purchase the dev material needed and they are actually WANTING people to make software for the Wii. The Wii was originally called the "Revolution" and its main point back then was to allow ANYONE to make games and software for it, for really cheap.

Eitherway, good luck.

I myself am wanting to do something REALLY simple, but I am lost at how to approach it. So I will post the question in these forums, and look like a fool for doing it.

This topic is 3548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.