NVidia PerfHUD in VSExpress 2005

Started by
2 comments, last by fanaticlatic 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I'm looking to get PerfHUD 5.2 working directly with Visual C++ Express 2005 as there seems to be few/no articles about it on the net. Currently i have to drag and drop the built exe file onto the PerfHUD icon or run the NVPerfHUD command directly from the command line. Obviously this is a bit of a pain so if someone could enlighten me as to how i go about running the program with perfHUD through VS it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, Mark.
"I have more fingers in more pies than a leper at a bakery!"
Advertisement
*bump
Go to Tools>External Tools and choose Add then give it a good title "NVidia perfHUD". In the Command box, point it to the NVidia perfHUD exe (not your exe). You will want to pass your exe as an argument, so in the Arguments box enter $(TargetPath) (no quotes). You will also probably need to set the Initial Directory to $(TargetDir) or $(ProjectDir). Then, use the "Move Up" button to move the new tool to the top of the list. Click Ok.

Now, add it to the Debug toolbar (where it logically belongs). To do that, go to Tools>Customize... then from the Categories list (the list to the left) select Tools, then from the list to the right look for "External Command 1" (it's 1 because we moved NVidia PerfHUD to the top of the list earlier), then drag it and drop it on one of the visible toolbars (the Debug toolbar is the most reasonable choice).

At this point, you can click on the newly added toolbar item to launch NVidia perfHUD with your exe. But you will probably want to add a keyboard shortcut to it. To do that, go to Tools>Options, and from the left select Environment>Keyboard. Now, in the text box titled "Show commands containing:", enter ExternalCommand1. This will narrow down the list to one item (which is the one we need). Then give it an intuitive shortcut (I use Ctrl+Alt+N and select Global from the "Use new shortcut in:" combo).

Then, to make it look nice, customize the toolbar button and give it an image instead of having its title displayed. I recommend you grab the icon from the NVidia PerfHUD exe, convert it to a bitmap and use that.

And you're done. Phew! Boy you owe me one :D
Thanks for the great reply your a legend!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement