Sign in to follow this  

I'm lost

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My goal is to make an nes emulator that supports online play but I'm having trouble choosing a language. I'm not big on programming but I have taken classes in visual basic, c++, and java. So I originally decided to make an emulator in VB.net using bitblit. But bitblit would be too slow? So I boughta book on managed directx, but that thing just confused me. So I'm looking for some advice here...what would be the best and easiest language and graphics library to program a quality emulator with. I have had people suggest to me learning allergo with C++. What about java and some other graphics library.

It really doesn't matter, just pick a language and API you like and go to it. If you can't decide, then maybe you need more some time playing with the various languages and APIs.

There's also no real point in asking what everyone's favorite is and then just using that, because everyone is going to say something different. "Best and easiest" are completely subjective, there is no real answer.

Also I'm pretty sure that in another thread everyone established that you should start out with a CHIP-8 emulator. Seriously a NES(or any other console) emulator is going to be way too hard for you at this stage. My CHIP-8 emulator was all of two source files and a couple hundred lines in size, it's a very simple system. My GameBoy emulator by comparison is a huge sprawling project with thousands of lines and dozens of files.

Allegro would be perfect for the job, so would DirectX and OpenGL. I would use OpenGL for the graphics and SDL for the input (it supports joysticks etc).

but...
An emulator is a BIG thing to attempt, especially when you don't seem to know much about programming. I suggest you put this project off by several years. I know that's a bitter pill to swallow, but you have little choice in this case.I have been programming for years and I wouldn't attempt a NES emulator.

Sorry, man.

Quote:
Original post by ed209
My goal is to make an nes emulator... I'm not big on programming...

How long do you want to spend working on the project? Would you have the patience to spend 3 years working on it, every moment of your spare time? It will take at least that long if you spent all of your free time working on it.

Microsoft seem to be very good at making there newer products easier for those with less experience have you considered using c# with XNA if you know c++ and VB the move should be easy every thing for VB.net should be the same in c# just different syntax.

Quote:
Original post by ramearess
Microsoft seem to be very good at making there newer products easier for those with less experience have you considered using c# with XNA if you know c++ and VB the move should be easy every thing for VB.net should be the same in c# just different syntax.

Can I really use XNA to create an emulator?

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.