Sign in to follow this  

Which Linux Distribution ?

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Oh no, don't you start a distro flame war here. All you'll really end up getting is a giant list of distros, which you can do anyway with Google. Everyone is going to say their distro is good. What's the point?

Or did you have a real question to ask?

Post what you're looking for in a distro and peeps could chime up with advice. Every flavor of linux has its own pluses and minuses.

If you're looking for an all purpose, well supported, and easy to use distro, I'd recommend Ubuntu. Don't limit yourself. Try a few, they're free after all.

http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/ maybe that will help...
ps. I use and love gentoo, but if your getting startedI would recommend openSUSE or Ubuntu, both are well supported and solid distro.. and Microsoft wont sue you if your using openSuse...

This thread isn't going to go anywhere. No one can tell you which distro you like best. Just try one. If you don't like it, try another one.

One thing to note is you're going to have to settle on one sooner or later. Don't be too quick to jump ship and move to another distro. Try to work through your problems (many people encounter a problem and use it as an excuse to change distros) and get a good feel for the distro. Find one you like, not one someone else says you'll like.

Now go download Ubuntu, because it's the best :P

In keeping everything flame retardant you should follow everyones advice about trying. Most distros have Live CD's, which is where you just insert the CD or DVD and boot to it and you now have Linux without interfering with your windows installation.

I think the consensus is Ubuntu is the easiest and fastest to get up and running with in a Live CD, plus it benefits from the excellent apt-get package manager from Debian based distros.

For a very concise list of distributions check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

I should recommend Ubuntu for its ease of use but beware if you have a winmodem it will be better to go for KUbuntu for easier modem setup. Winmodems shouldn't be a problem if you are using a broadband connection with an external modem.

If you want some hardcore fast Linux distro with a good package manager but a harder configuration environment since you must install it from a text-based installer and you must configure it to have a GUI, I will recommend ArchLinux. It is a good distro if you want more control and want to learn the inside and outs of the linux environment.

As a side note, Ubuntu is based from Debian but is more cleaner and friendly, I strongly recommend Ubuntu over Debian.

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.