Sign in to follow this  

[SOLVED] Anyone tried getting the Visual C++ compiler working without the IDE?

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been using Code::Blocks for the longest time now and really enjoy the feel of it and although I also like the feel of Visual Studio, the install is several hundred megs(without the MSDN, MySQL, or Silverlight options) which just seems a bit excessive to me. I'd like to say storage space isn't an issue, but I'm using a 40 GB HD partitioned into an XP and Vista partition, and I am using this computer for more than just development(playing games, music, etc.) Has anyone tried finding a way to cut out the VS IDE or other extra components so that the compiler and required sdk are all that's left? I dunno, maybe I should just stick with Code::Blocks+MingW, but I have been trying to experiment with inline asm just for a neat learning experience and I have to say I rather dislike the extra work, although not all that much, that needs to be done in order to do inline asm in GCC. So if anyone could offer me any advice on how I could possibly accomplish getting rid of the extra fluff in the VC++2008 install, it'd be much appreciated. thanks for any help you may be able to offer, -Wynter Woods [Edited by - zerotri on February 13, 2008 11:47:32 PM]

Hi, you can easily use the 2003 or 2005 Microsoft compilers with codeblocks.

You can search for the "2003 toolkit" for just the Microsoft command-line tools.

Or I think you can install VC2005 Express and use the compiler from it.

Yes, its easy, I even call the compiler and linker from autotools.

The easiest would be to just run the "Visual Studio 2005/2008 Command Prompt" link under your start menu entry for Visual Studio/Visual C++ express and then run Code Blocks from the command line.

If you want a more permanent solution you need to add a couple of paths to your PATH environment variable and create the INCLUDE, LIB and LIBPATH environment variables, pointing to the path to your VC header and library directories respectively, for a good start on what to set them to, open up vsvars32.bat (or vsbars64.bat) in \Common7\Tools and see what they are set up to.

I don't use Code::Blocks, so I don't know, but maybe there is a way to set those inside it so you don't have to set them system wide.

Ah! and remember the compiler is cl.exe, the linker is link.exe and slahes (/) are used instead of dashes (-) for flags and setting options.

I kind of like AT&T asm syntax over Intel's though, feels more "strongly typed" for lack of a better set of words.

thanks for the quick replies.
sorry, I tend to be a bit vague at times. I was actually wondering if there is a way to delete the extra files used by the MSVS IDE and only have the compiler installed on my computer. I currently have VC++ 2008 installed currently, although all I really want is the compiler, I'm just not sure what files I'd need to keep/delete(if I really should even mess with that) so that I don't break the compiler's operations. However a quick search for the Visual C++ 2003 toolkit seems to have given me a nice link to download just a compiler(although I have never gotten that search to work before).

Well since I have the 2003 toolkit now, I may just mess around with the 2008 installation knowing that even if I break it I've got a backup compiler to use.
Thanks again for your quick and useful responses,
-Wynter Woods

EDIT: I seem to have been able to minimize my disk space usage to about 200 megs for the compiler and platform sdk, so I think I'll just stick with that for a while. Anyone know about Microsoft's policy on people distributing copies of Visual C++ Express? I know they aren't going to allow everyone to just start selling VC++, but if I were to take the lite version of VC++, do you guys think it would be going against any of their license agreements?

[Edited by - zerotri on February 13, 2008 11:12:18 PM]

Quote:
Original post by zerotri
EDIT: I seem to have been able to minimize my disk space usage to about 200 megs for the compiler and platform sdk, so I think I'll just stick with that for a while. Anyone know about Microsoft's policy on people distributing copies of Visual C++ Express? I know they aren't going to allow everyone to just start selling VC++, but if I were to take the lite version of VC++, do you guys think it would be going against any of their license agreements?

You are not allowed to redistribute ANYTHING, with exception of Release build run-time libraries marked as redistributable.

Read the license you agreed upon when you downloaded the software, and the other one you had to agree to when you installed it.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Quote:
Original post by zerotri

You are not allowed to redistribute ANYTHING, with exception of Release build run-time libraries marked as redistributable.

Read the license you agreed upon when you downloaded the software, and the other one you had to agree to when you installed it.

alright thanks :D
that's a bummer though, cause I've managed to get the compiler/sdk down to a 20 MB self-extracting rar...
oh well.
thanks for the info Antheus

I've been using VC7.1 (2003) as a minimal command line compiler for a few years now. You only need these files from your compiler's bin directory:

c1.dll
c1xx.dll
c2.dll
cl.exe
link.exe
mspdb71.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll

I usually throw in the lib utility and resource compiler too:

lib.exe
rc.exe
rc.hlp
rcdll.dll

Copy over the include and lib directories from the SDK and you've got a complete command line C/C++ compiler.

For VC8 (2005) you'll need:

c1.dll
c1xx.dll
c2.dll
cl.exe
link.exe
msobj80.dll
mspdb80.dll
mspdbcore.dll
mspdbsrv.exe
1033\clui.dll

Hope that's useful.

This topic is 3595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.