Quake 3 Engine

Started by
3 comments, last by shadowisadog 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi Guys, Am I right in saying that the source for the Quake engines is released quite frequently after the game's release and it is supposed to be available for free. So if it so why do people recommend engines like Ogre, Irrlicht and other engines when you have such a great engine (from the Quake Series)? Also where can I find tutorials or documentation for using the Quake 3 engine?
Advertisement
unfortunately the Quake 3 engine has some severe licensing restrictions, plus OGRE and Irrlicht have some more modern features to them
Not everyone is going to be happy with the licencing terms under which the Quake 3 source is available.

There is also more support available for using some of the other choices out there (such as Irrlicht or OGRE) than there is for using the Quake 3 engine. There are sometimes also additional tools available, as long as a wealth of sample code for various uses of the engines in question.

Quake III is also quite dated now, and some projects may desire features not already present in the engine which are readily available in other engines but could take quite a bit of work to add on to the Quake 3 source.

Additionally, game engines are designed with specific goals and restrictions in mind, and a great many people wish to create games that are not neccesarily very similar to Quake III and which therefore may be better suited to an alternative engine.

If the above are not problems for you then Quake 3 may indeed be an acceptable choice for your game.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Also, IIRC Quake 3 is entirely written in C. Plain C. John-Carmack-C.

C++ affectionados might not appreciate that kind of code-base.
I agree with the posts here. I am using Irrlicht for a research project. I needed a 3d engine but I was not out to make a Quake game, plus I needed something that gave me much more control then the Quake engine would have provided.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement