C++ compiler

Started by
22 comments, last by Purple-Haze 16 years, 2 months ago
You can also try c++ for a couple of weeks and if you find it too difficult then you can switch to python or c# :)
Advertisement
Give Python a try. You can also step into PyGame once you have the basics down. Moving to C++ from Python should be too difficult.
Quote:Original post by Skoorbnut
ya i was probably going to start on a very very basic game. like tetris as the site says.

If you've just started programming, making your own tetris shouldn't be your first goal. Start with guess the number, hangman and tic tac toe.
First game I ever made was Tic Tac Toe in Basic .. Ahh those were the days :-) By the way Visual Basic was great fun for me back when I was learning how to program, I'd thoroughly recommend it!

Either way you'd probably be best off getting a nice beginners book on learning your chosen language and pair it up with another book on making games in that language.
Alright thanks guys. Im probably going to try C++ for a couple weeks and if its to hard (granted im 14) i will go to basic or python.
Alright thanks guys. Im probably going to try C++ for a couple weeks and if its to hard (granted im 14) i will go to basic or python.

I don't care much for basic, however it can be a good learning tool. Either that or java(or c#, which has very similar syntax to java, and has a nice design for making gui in VStudio). To answer your question, a good legal free one for either commercial use or education is Bloodshed Dev c++. Visual Studio has nicer features, but if you wanna go commercial at all, dev c++ is your best bet.
Just picked up Visual studio express 2008. Thanks guys
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex

I don't care much for basic, however it can be a good learning tool. Either that or java(or c#, which has very similar syntax to java, and has a nice design for making gui in VStudio). To answer your question, a good legal free one for either commercial use or education is Bloodshed Dev c++. Visual Studio has nicer features, but if you wanna go commercial at all, dev c++ is your best bet.

Ew. Honestly. I've never used Dev C++ commercially (probably because it's old and clunky). Visual C++ yes. Borland C++ yes. Even CDT + Eclipse. Never Dev C++ :P

If you're just starting out, I'll recommend Visual Studio also. But if you maybe like to do cross-platform things -- you might like to try Code::Blocks. It's lightweight, powerful and maintained (unlike Dev CPP...).

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
I would personally advise against C++ as a first language. My advice would be to learn Python first and then learn C++ after, for reasons stated here.

In any case, good luck.

"Someone introduced to computers via Basic is in all probability mentally mutilated beyond redemption."
- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But what do I know.. I started with DBase :D
--------------------------------------"Those alien bastards are gonna pay for ruining my ride !"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement