C++ compiler

Started by
22 comments, last by Purple-Haze 16 years, 2 months ago
I have just started learning how to program. I have searched around on this site and it seems like C++ is the way to go for game development. This has probably been answered before but what do you guys reccomend for a compiler?
Advertisement
Visual Studio 2008 Express.
Quote:Original post by Skoorbnut
I have just started learning how to program.

Then stay away from C++ for another 1-2 years.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by Skoorbnut
I have just started learning how to program.

Then stay away from C++ for another 1-2 years.

Then what do you reccomend I start with?
Quote:Original post by Dave
Visual Studio 2008 Express.

I already tried and it got about 70mb done and then said it couldnt download the rest. Didnt understand cause i still have like 6 gb on this computer. I think it may be my horrible internet. When i go to my dads house i will put it on a disc and try it again.
Not be a douche or anything, but have you read through the other For Beginners posts before making this one?

It seems to me that the two most recommended beginning languages are C# and Python. The best free C# IDE is Visual C# Express 2008. For Python there isn't really a de facto IDE for it as far as I know, but you'll find a lot of useful information by doing a search on these forums and the rest of the internets on Python.

Good luck in your beginning stages of programming. I can be a blast.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
The problem with C++ for beginners that have no experience in any other languages is that it is a steep learning curve. You can dive right in if you like, but you will have to battle both with syntax style and then the bazillions of ins and outs. You are better off starting with either C or as the increasingly popular C#.

You can find an express version for C# as well.
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Not be a douche or anything, but have you read through the other For Beginners posts before making this one?

It seems to me that the two most recommended beginning languages are C# and Python. The best free C# IDE is Visual C# Express 2008. For Python there isn't really a de facto IDE for it as far as I know, but you'll find a lot of useful information by doing a search on these forums and the rest of the internets on Python.

Good luck in your beginning stages of programming. I can be a blast.

Thanks man. Sorry about not researching much. But thanks :-D
Oh and if i could give you one piece of advise:

Don't try and make the next big game. Keep the things you make nice and simple. It'lll speed up developement and you won't hit that wall and lose confidence. Build up to the complicated stuff steadily.
Quote:Original post by Dave
Oh and if i could give you one piece of advise:

Don't try and make the next big game. Keep the things you make nice and simple. It'lll speed up developement and you won't hit that wall and lose confidence. Build up to the complicated stuff steadily.

ya i was probably going to start on a very very basic game. like tetris as the site says.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement