Sign in to follow this  

Template defintion trouble

This topic is 3589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I usually try and keep my function definitions seperate from the declarations (aka not just put them together). I've got some code I'm trying to store an iterator from any stl-compatible container type.
//  Declaration
template <typename T, template <typename> class U>
class MyClass
{
public:
	MyClass(typename U<T>::iterator itr);
	MyClass(const MyClass& rhs);
	~MyClass();
	MyClass& operator = (const MyClass& rhs);

T& operator * ();

private:
	typename U<T>::iterator	m_itr;
};

MyClass<T, U>::MyClass(typename U<T>::iterator itr) : m_itr(itr)
{
}

I'm not sure if these can actually be seperate or not, or if the definition just needs to be embedded. Would "MyClass<T, U>::" be correct, or does it need to be a variation on that since U = "template <typename> class U"? Also the compiling error I'm getting from VS 2005 is error C2244: 'MyClass<T, U>::{ctor}' : unable to match function definition to an existing declaration definition 'MyClass<T, U>::MyClass(U<T>::iterator)' existing declarations 'MyClass<T, U>::MyClass(const MyClass<T,U> &)' 'MyClass<T, U>::MyClass(U<T>::iterator)' So the two existing ones are the constructor and the copy-constructor. Strangely enough, it's listing an exact match for the constructor (as far as what it says it can't match). Any ideas? [edit] Fixed the source tags and some <> that got messed up

MinGW 3.4.2 and Borland 5.82 both grok your code just fine. Visual C++ 2008 gives the error you listed. Making a slight change:
class MyClass
{
public:
typedef typename U<T>::iterator iterator
MyClass(iterator itr);
MyClass(const MyClass& rhs);
~MyClass();
MyClass& operator = (const MyClass& rhs);

T& operator * ();

private:
typename U<T>::iterator m_itr;
};

MyClass<T, U>::MyClass(typename MyClass<T, U>::iterator itr) : m_itr(itr)
{
}
is sufficient to get it to work under Visual C++ 2008 as well. So it looks like either a really obscure template issue or a compiler bug.

Σnigma

This topic is 3589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.