Item superiority

Started by
36 comments, last by Chrono1081 16 years, 1 month ago
You could have weapons that have different effects on enemies. In the FF series, attacks with certain swords would cause the enemies to be poisoned or blinded, but would deal lesser damage. Some weapons would give the player a boost in stats that are not related to physical attacks, such as magic resistance. There are some staffs that would deal no damage at all, or even heal the target when you use it. (so you could heal your allies, without wasting MP).

If you're thinking of long ranged weapons, I'd take a look at Resident Evil's weapon stats. You have:

1.Firepower
2.Rate of Fire
3.Ammo Capacity
4.Reload Speed

Additionally you can have weapons that 'spread', that is, damage multiple enemies at close range, and others that would shoot 'through' enemies. Some of the weapons in the game seem obscenely powerful, but it appears to be balanced by the lack of ammo you can find.
Advertisement
What kind of RPG are you thinking about?

The gameplay determines the variables you want to use. A PnP game is a lot different then a video game.
--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
you must also realize a lot of video games are based off of PnP. Eve online uses D10 and the epic WoW uses Sword and Sorcery(a derivative of DnD) oh and not to mention Dungeons and Dragons Online and Diablo/Diablo2 as well as the Warcraft series of RTS'. So you really can't say PnP does not relate to a video game.
Good thing I didn't say that then.

A hack n slash RPG will rely on variables relating to hacking and slashing.

A RPG that is meant to offer the player interesting choices and even the potential to avoid conflict through stealth or diplomacy would have different variables.

A MMO may have different variables then a SP RPG.

Some things that work on PnP may not work in a lot of different video game formats.

Like I said, the gameplay determines the variables.
--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
Quote:Original post by Stangler
What kind of RPG are you thinking about?

My project is an action RPG with melee and ranged combat from an overhead view. You can see some WIP snapshots here. Ignore the views angled from close up. Those are just where I paused the game and moved the camera around, which won't be part of the game.

In response to the types of things that can be balanced, here are the traits ranged weapons deal with. The top three are mostly balanced between basic energy types (pulse, laser, etc), but individual weapons of each energy type can scale those three stats up and down.

1. Damage (health drain)
2. Power (physical force applied, measured against char toughness for severity of hurt animations and knockdown)
3. Pain (stun time, intimidation)
4. Accuracy (not character aiming accuracy, just how straight it shoots)
5. Rate of fire
6. Projectile speed
7. Reload speed (mostly depends on the type - pistol / rifle)
8. Dexterity (bulkiness, weight, aiming speed)
9. Stealth capabilities
10. Concealment

I think that's it. There are other indirect factors like splash damage and armor penetration, but those are directly tied to the energy types.
Stang did you ever play a game made by Bioware. That alone shows how PnP combat concepts can be mixed together with PnP role play decisions. Not to also mention the mighty Elder Scrolls series does the same.
Quote:Original post by blewisjr
you must also realize a lot of video games are based off of PnP. Eve online uses D10 and the epic WoW uses Sword and Sorcery(a derivative of DnD) oh and not to mention Dungeons and Dragons Online and Diablo/Diablo2 as well as the Warcraft series of RTS'. So you really can't say PnP does not relate to a video game.

You have cause and effect mixed up in a few places here. The pencil and paper versions of Diablo and World of Warcraft are based on the computer games, not the other way around. Also, Sword and Sorcery isn't a derivative of D&D, it's the name of the White Wolf imprint that handles d20 products. So while you may see a big Sword and Sorcery logo on the World of Warcraft RPG books it's a corporate logo for the publisher not the name of a system.
Quote:Original post by Kest
In response to the types of things that can be balanced, here are the traits ranged weapons deal with.

Don't forget about non-weapon statistic methods of balance. Ease of finding ammunition can be a big one. AI that takes advantage of weaknesses in weapons like rushing in while you're reloading. Drugged up opponents that don't feel pain. Close quarter battles in rooms full of explosive or otherwise hazardous materials.
Quote:Original post by Kest
9. Stealth capabilities

Does this mean silenced weapons? Or some other ability the player gets?

Btw, great screens!
As you said you can balance weapons towards others, but many games made that before.

Even if you design it that there is not one "uber" weapon you have to create differences between weapons. Lets say one weapon has +4 Strengh, the other +4 Dexterity and the third +2Str and +2Dexterity.

In theory these weapons are balanced, but in the game the +4Str can be superior and the +4 Dex be useless because no one wants/needs dexterity.

I think a really important part is, to not create the "one" weapon. Every highend weapon should have something that makes it superior. But be careful with that; lets say you generate a weapon with very high damage and another with very high chance to stun the opponent. Its the design of monsters and the fighting system that makes out of one of these weapons a superior weapon and the other one useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement