license selection

Started by
2 comments, last by Sc4Freak 16 years, 2 months ago
i went to the creative commons website and i didnt find the information i want :(. I want a license that 1) You must credit the author(s) in both binary and derived source. 2) You may make derived work, as long as you redistribute the source. The original author must be credit but of course the person who add upon it is allowed to put his name on it. 3) Can be distributed in any way wished (must credit author(s) and include the same license) 4) Derived work must have this same license. 5) Commercial companies may use the work. I also want a license that does not include #5 (Commercial must not use, distributed or creative derived work) what license should i use? and how do i attach it to my code? do i put 'this code is under license XYZ by <authors>' and a <license name>.txt in the directory with the source?
<SkilletAudio> Your framerate proves your lack of manhood
Advertisement
Sounds exactly like the GNU GPL. The GPL is a viral license, meaning that all derived works must also be licensed under the GPL. It requires that source code be released to the public, and it has no restrictions on commercial endeavours.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
oh yeah, the GPL... The thing about that is

1) Does it for them to credit me (in the binary and source)?
2) GPL forces them to distribute all of their code as GPL, i only want the source of the module that is changed. I dont really care if they make the rest of their source GPL or if i cant modify the binary cause its not an external module.

Actually that was a problem with LGLP, i would have to make the entire source available if i were to put it on a console (such as a DS).

3) What if i want to make it so that you can not use it in a commercial product?

I am also not sure how to attach the license to my source code/works :S. I seen a few ppl copy paste the entire license in every header file :X
<SkilletAudio> Your framerate proves your lack of manhood
Quote:Original post by AcidZombie24
oh yeah, the GPL... The thing about that is

1) Does it for them to credit me (in the binary and source)?
2) GPL forces them to distribute all of their code as GPL, i only want the source of the module that is changed. I dont really care if they make the rest of their source GPL or if i cant modify the binary cause its not an external module.

Actually that was a problem with LGLP, i would have to make the entire source available if i were to put it on a console (such as a DS).

3) What if i want to make it so that you can not use it in a commercial product?

I am also not sure how to attach the license to my source code/works :S. I seen a few ppl copy paste the entire license in every header file :X

I'm not sure if such a license already exists. You could always write your own. (although I imagine that would be quite difficult without any legal background)

And, yes, the license is usually just supplied as a file in your package. Also, an abridged version is often included at the top of every source file, usually with a link to the full version (if available).
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement