Sign in to follow this  

OBB-Ray collision

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have OBB - OBB collision working, but somehow I am having trouble with detecting collision between an OBB and a semi infinite ray. For OBB - ray collision my plan is to transform the ray into the OBB's local space, and then just run simple ray - bounding box collision tests. This is my function that takes a ray and an OBB and should return a ray that run my collision test on:
public static Ray WorldToLocalRay(Ray worldRay, OBB currOBB)
        {
            Matrix inv = Matrix.Invert(currOBB.getWorld());
            Vector3 rayStart = Vector3.Transform(worldRay.Position, inv);
            Vector4 rayDir = Vector4.Transform(new Vector4(worldRay.Direction, 0), Matrix.Transpose(inv));
            Ray localRay = new Ray(rayStart, new Vector3(rayDir.X, rayDir.Y, rayDir.Z));

return localRay;
        }

But it is not working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This:
Vector4 rayDir = Vector4.Transform(new Vector4(worldRay.Direction, 0), Matrix.Transpose(inv));
Looks wrong to me.

Is your OBB transform a rigid body transform (i.e. rotation and translation only)? If so, the following should work:
Vector4 rayDir = Vector4.Transform(new Vector4(worldRay.Direction, 0), inv);

Vector4 rayDir = Vector4.Transform(new Vector4(worldRay.Direction, 0), inv);

Did not work for me either. I believe my OBB transform a rigid body transform. The world matrix I am using in the code above is also being used to draw the bounding boxes using vector render.

Also about transforming the ray direction, I was under the impression that if you are transforming a normal you have to use the transpose of the inverse.

Here is the code i am using to draw my bounding boxes which works fine, if it helps:

vectorRender.SetWorldMatrix(myOBB.getWorld());
BoundingBox boxd = myBox;
boxd.Min -= myOBB.center;
boxd.Max -= myOBB.center;
vectorRender.DrawBoundingBox(boxd);

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.