Sign in to follow this  

GLCapabilities and sample buffers

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

BACKGROUND: This deals with jogl, but it might not matter with my final question. I have a rather unusual situation where I need to set some values in a GLCapabilities object that I am using in the constructor of a GLCanvas. The problem is I am not actually using the standard jogl "GLCapabilities" and "GLCanvas" classes. I am using the SWT analogs of these classes which replace the abovementioned classes. In the SWT-version of GLCapabilities, the sample buffers variable used for antialiasing is not implemented yet (and I don't think there is an effort to do that soon). Unfortunately, I want to create sample buffers for I can do antialiasing. QUESTION: Is there anyway to somehow change the glcapabilities values after a canvas has been made? Basically I need to set GLCapabilities.setSampleBuffers and GLCapabilities.setNumSamples to the appropriate values, but I can't do this when passing the capabilities in the constructor of the canvas (this is because I am using SWT-versions as I mentioned in the background section). In another sense, can sample buffers and the number of samples be set through means other than using the "GLCapabilities" and "GLCanvas"?

I'm pretty sure that the GLCapabilities implementation of antialiasing is based on the ARB_multisample extension. To my understanding it is the only way to do it in JOGL (or only one to seriously consider) and the value must be set prior to window creation. Another problem was that while you can enable this capability, you cannot disable it once enabled. Then again, i was told that about 3 years ago, so things may have changed.

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.