Sign in to follow this  

Vertex tweening

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My next project will be animation. Right now i don´t see how to complete this task under ~200workhours. Lets say i have a mesh of a human character standing up created in 3ds. then i create a mesh with the same character sitting down. and 4 other meshes in between.(motion between standing and sitting) the plan is to check all the vertexes and move the Delta-position in certain speeds. if this is the normal way of vertex tweening for my as a single person this whould take lots of time just to create 1 animation, and i need about 20 for a good game. how is the normal routine when creating a animation in a project with just one person in the project?

There are any number of ways of doing this sort of animation. Keyframe tweening with multiple streams is a concise and clean piece of software, but it can be a bit of a bugger fitting that with the source data.

Really you need to know what your source data is and how its generated. Assuming you're doing art as well as tech then this should be easy. A lot of character animation will want to use skeletal animation for example, but if you're happy exporting as keyframes then that could be easy enough - but may be a little more manual on your part.

hth
Jack

Programming skeleton stuff is very difficult or so I've heard. Programming vertex animation is a lot easier.

As far as setting it up in 3ds, I personally would both rig and skin the character mesh because it makes for easier animation. Then pose the skeleton for each frame and take a snapshot of current vertex positions (to use for vertex animation). Later if you have time to implement skeleton animation in your code, you can use exactly the same animation files and this time export with bones. Oh yeah, and I don't think it's easy to export bones from 3ds max to a format easily usable by DirectX.

This topic is 3592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.