Version Control for personal projects on Vista

Started by
20 comments, last by sigsegv42 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am looking for a simple and easy to setup version control system for my personal projects on Windows Vista. Since I only have one desktop at home, so no separate server machine. In addision it should also have good branching and merging supports, as I like experimenting different ideas. Many such systems I have found do not have very good support for Vista. I have a copy of Visual SourceSafe 2005, from what I heard it seems to support Vista, but I am quite hessitated to try it because of its bad reputation(Hmmm, It may be worth a try, VSS seems to work pretty well for small-size projects...). Any suggestion or direction will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
I use this. There is a tool called RapidSVN which works nicely too. There is also Perforce which i love. However to use it for more than 5 clients and 2 users you need a licence.
Quote:Original post by Dave
I use this. There is a tool called RapidSVN which works nicely too. There is also Perforce which i love. However to use it for more than 5 clients and 2 users you need a licence.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does SVN server support Vista Home Basic? Do I have to manually install Apache or svnserver?

The version control is used exclusively by me only, the Perforce's client limit has no problem to me, but it seems a bit clunky for one-man projects. Anyways I will try it, and see how it goes.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Quote:Original post by Classless
Does SVN server support Vista Home Basic? Do I have to manually install Apache or svnserver?

IIRC a local svn repository doesn't require apache or svnserver. If you install TortoiseSVN theres a simple right click -> "create repository here" option.
Another vote for Perforce here. We use it at work, and I also use it for my own projects (Just me working on it, but working from 3 different PCs)
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Quote:Original post by Classless

IIRC a local svn repository doesn't require apache or svnserver. If you install TortoiseSVN theres a simple right click -> "create repository here" option.

Awesome, thank you for the info. And I just found that using Google Code can also save me from installing the server. Can anyone comment on its speed?
I have some stuff hosted on Google code. Speed isn't really an issue because SVN is generally pretty slow anyways.
Thank you guys, I will try Perforce first then, if it works fine, I will probably just stick with it.
One more vote for subversion.

It's very widespread and you won't have to buy a license if you ever happen work on a project with more than 2 users. From my experience, it's incredibly fast, too. At work, we've got a 2 GB+ repository with 5000 revisions used by ~10 people and browsing, copying, committing is as fast as browsing folders or copying plain files in windows explorer.

-Markus-

Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Merging on SVN is still relatively poor, because of the lack of merge tracking (though they're looking at it as far as I understand).

I've never regretted moving to Mercurial.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement