Sign in to follow this  

Terrain Editor

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got myself a nice terrain generator but having to hard code all the values into the app is a bit annoying, and not really what i want to do. i decided i was going to implement a C# level editor, interfacing with a c++ DLL, this seems to be working good so far, but i haven't started rendering 'much' as of yet. My Generator at the moment uses a quadtree and viewfrustum culling to help with the performance of the app, however if im creating an editor, im going to have to implement a method that is going to allow me to render the entire terrain at highest level of detail, how can this be possible? my initial idea was to do it in stages, i.e. do the terrain Layout editing first then, the texturing / lighting changes, however rendering this all at once for a massive terrain is going to cause massive slow down, how do other terrain editors cope with this?? I've had a search around and cant find any implementation details, so i was hoping someone on here could help me out.

Quote:
Original post by LackOfGrace
why do you need to have maximum resolution?

anyway, artists tend to zoom in on the area they are working with.

Sure but that would make it possible that the artist could see the whole terrain at once, so surely they could work on the zoomed out model, meaning it would need to be highest resolution?

Quote:
Original post by LordFallout
Sure but that would make it possible that the artist could see the whole terrain at once, so surely they could work on the zoomed out model, meaning it would need to be highest resolution?

When they are zoomed out, they can't see much detail, so you can render much less detail and keep the cost the same.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:
Original post by LordFallout

When they are zoomed out, they can't see much detail, so you can render much less detail and keep the cost the same.

OK, so i should still be able to get away with geomipmapping, just make sure the artist goes to chunk level before editing, or the result may be undesirable? Also im having troubles debugging an unmanged C++ DLL from within my c# app, there both in the same project and i have checked "enable unmanaged Debugging" however i still cant debug my DLL :S Any ideas?

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.