VC++ express 2008 problems have happened again.

Started by
9 comments, last by mysockshurt 16 years, 2 months ago
I thought the problem was fixed but it has came back again with visual c++ 08 express. This is what happens in a step by step fashion. 1- Create new project. 2-Select win32 console project 3- Name project and go through form 4- Tell form to make an empty project. 5-This is where it gets weird ,normally 3 empty folders would greet me, but instead I have 2 called Debug| win32 , Release | win32. 6- I try to add a source file but I cant, instead I can only add project property sheets. What settings did I screw up for this to happen and how can I fix it? I freshly installed this one and scanned for viruses and restarted the computer just in case. What could of led up to this? I have never played around with the settings(I check microsoft forums and so far I got no response. I am doing a repost because the last one I did was not very accurate and was several days old and I didn't want to revive a dead thread). Thanks a lot. System(VC++ express 2008, vista home premium, 3 gigs of ram,180 gigs of free hard drive space.)
Advertisement
That means you have no installed templates but I have no idea how that would happen. I've used VC 2008 since the day the first Beta was released, and re-installed it many times (I trash my system a lot like all good programmers)but never had any issues other than with the incremental linker.

I've also installed other templates like the GDK game library without any problems. There is a way to do it manually (it's in the OGRE documentation for getting their templates into VC++) but it's very tedious.

What happens if you just make a text file then give it a *.cpp extension and open it in VC++? Or does it open other VC++ project files correctly from existing projects?

m0ng00se
It did not open up files correctly from existing projects and when I made the .cpp file, it would not let me build,debug,or run it so that is out. Any ideas? Any links to the arduous process?
Also I tried to do an install which was offline but when I downloaded it I got an error saying I had to terminate. This happened to all of them. Should I just pick up a different ide for c++?
Did you install MVS as administrator?

You can also try registering the templates manually.

Quote:Original post by m0ng00se
(I trash my system a lot like all good programmers)but never had any issues other than with the incremental linker.

Following up on that conclusion, not having re-installed either Linux or XP machine in 3 years, I must be one of worst programmers in the world.

As for test machines, there's always disk images.

I still got the same thing when I installed and repaired under administrator , when I did the steps listed below it said devenv.exe was not a command. I only have two folders in my VSC folder and that is an empty ProjectTemplates and a NewFileItems folder that contains some files. Was I suppose to install something new? Was devenv.exe a command that had high precedent and didn't need to exist in the folder?
Quote:it said devenv.exe was not a command

You need to run that from the directory devenv.exe is located in.
I just got the same exact thing is VS 2008 Pro. I have no clue how to fix it either : / That thing took FOREVER to install too : /
It sounds like you're in the Property Manager. Maybe you're expecting to be in the Solution Explorer.

View > Solution Explorer
I found an option under "view" that said "reset all views" and I used that and it worked for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement