Sign in to follow this  

Overlaying fullscreen games using DirectDraw in Visual Basic

This topic is 3590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hellow Gamedev.net! Let me start by saying thank you, to all of you who share knowledge for the good of others. Places like these are one of a kind in this world. ... rem rem. Well I'm on a quest to design a killer app that I will slowly 'uncover' as we go along the way. My first step towards building this app is by forcing an overlay of images (animation) over a game in full screen mode. I found on this same forum an example here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=359319 this example shows a black box on the upper left corner I believe, with some text in it. It uses C++ and DirectDraw. But like my topic title says, I was 100% willing on using Visual Basic for this application because it would permit a lightning fast implementation of other features that would take ages in c++. Since VB does DirectDraw... I was thinking it might be possible. Please reassure me it can ;) now I would like to get your feedback first, before getting my hands dirty. TYVM for reading. will be pressing f5 in a few minutes ;)

By "visual basic" do you mean proper VB or .NET VB?? The last updates to VB6 and DX were around 2002 iirc, and were only for D3D8. MDX supported VB.NET but has since been dropped.

Although, to be honest, what problem are you trying to solve? MH's D3D9 proxy DLL effectively allows a proxy over the top of commercial games so if you're making some sort of gameplay hack/aid then you can do it using much more modern technology in a much more supported environment.

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
By "visual basic" do you mean proper VB or .NET VB?? The last updates to VB6 and DX were around 2002 iirc, and were only for D3D8. MDX supported VB.NET but has since been dropped.

Although, to be honest, what problem are you trying to solve? MH's D3D9 proxy DLL effectively allows a proxy over the top of commercial games so if you're making some sort of gameplay hack/aid then you can do it using much more modern technology in a much more supported environment.

hth
Jack

I will be using any VB version that is more appropriate, I will buy the right licence.

Could you elaborate on MH's D3D9 proxy? In short, I would like to be able to code the network, interface and peripheral portions in the shortest time possible. That is why I would be using VB Net/6. If you can tell me how to make an animation on top of any game that would get me started on the whole deal. I'm a bit conflicted on telling what I'm trying to do, I might get my idea stolen.

Thanks for the reply, I am monitoring this thread closely. Any feedback on what would be the quickest route for dealing with my app's componenents is hella welcome.

[Edited by - 7h0m on February 16, 2008 2:33:57 AM]

So it comes down to 2 code portions:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=359319

or

MH's D3D9

I would prefer the first alternative because it does not require to hack files. I would like my app to work with 99% of games out there, but if it can been done smoothly with MH's tech - so be it.

Are there any c++ to VB converters? is converting one of these techniques remotly possible?

Thanks.

[Edited by - 7h0m on February 16, 2008 5:42:50 PM]

I hate ''bumping'' but this is important as heck for me. I just want opinions, would this be possible using VB NET or 6?

If it's really not possible, how hard is it to make a decent win32 interface in c++? I used my share of c++ but only using the console for mathematics. Thanks in advance.

This topic is 3590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.