Sign in to follow this  

vc2005 - full rebuild ?

This topic is 3586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

if i change my project configuration from debug to release and vica versa, i always have to do a full rebuild as i get linker errors if i dont. How can i fix this? surely the debug and release stuff all go in to seperate folders? It makes development very time consuming. I have set the output directories of both a release and debug build to output the exe in to the same location and this puts some other files in with the exe such as a exp, lib, ilk, bsc files. It would be nice to be able to get these going in the debug/release folders instead of where my exe goes as well. any suggestions on what i need to change in my project and/or libraries to get this working? im using visual studio 2005

Have both builds output to different folders, then add a post build operation which calls a batch file to copy your exe over to the appropriate folder, this way everything goes to individual directories and you wind up with the exe in the folder you want it to end up in.

Set the following settings to exactly the same values in both, Release and Debug configuration.
-Configuration Properties\General\Output Directory = ...\bin\$(ConfigurationName)
-Configuration Properties\General\Intermediate Directory = ...\int\$(ConfigurationName)
-Linker\General\Output File = $(OutDir)\..\$(ProjectName).exe

This would assume the following structure. You can adjust the actual paths to your liking.

+- bin
+--- ProjectName.exe
+--- Release
+------ Bunch of stuff
+- int
+--- Release
+------ Even more stuff

Don't change anything else though, you might need to reset the settings if you messed up the defaults too much, or hard-coded them.

This topic is 3586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.