• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Reegan

OpenGL Where and what?

This topic is 3897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im a little confused on where and what im supposed to be downloading. i want opengl so i can start learning how to use it. im using C++ and have decided to use openGL rather that DirectX for game programming and all that kinda of stuff. im tryin to get a headstart on game programming for two reasons one its my most favourite thing to do and i say that because i used to use game maker to program my games but am now looking for something more advanced. The second reason is that ive been accepted at a college for thier game design course and would like to get a headstart on that and then go to a games development university. Thanks for all your help, sorry about the life story lol ~Reegan [Edited by - Reegan on February 15, 2008 7:43:09 PM]

Advertisement
oh sorry i forgot to mention, im already using microsofts Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.
So i already have everything i need then?

That you do.

You'll need to create a project that links with the OpenGL libs, you'll also presumably be using the winAPI too so that needs to be included also.
To get going quickly you can download a simple NeHe tutorial VC++ project, it'll have everything set up and ready to go, then you can use that as a base.

Opengl is composed of extensions that are installed natively with windows, and the extensions usually are in line with your graphics card. If you upgrade your card, the drivers will have whatever extensions are supported by that card, but for the most part what you need to program using the opengl library is included with windows. Probably what you need to get started is an interface. Most people begin with GLUT (GL Utility), some people are using SDL and others choose to begin from scratch and use the standard windows interface which means managing and creating all your windows yourself. So you can take your pick. If you want to use GLUT theres a host of books showing how to use it. A decent book to start with is Computer Graphics using OpenGL by F.S. Hill and Stephen Kelley. But the biggest thing to make sure you understand is that OpenGL is and isn't like directx. They both essentially do the same thing, programatically can look very very similar, but OpenGL technicaly isn't a downloadable thing. It literally can be thought of as just a list of definitions(in a library form) that come pre-installed and are updated as neeeded.

Like I mentioned above, what you need to initially begin is an interface and GLUT is decent to just start learning OpenGL without having to worry about platform dependencies or generating windows or anything like that.

Hope that helps

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!